Mossberg 500 not feeding

Huck

Inactive
Hi folks, I've got a Persuader that's not feeding correctly, it shoots well and ejects the spent round, the new one stays in the tube and doesn't get picked up, any solutions?

First guess is the shell latch (the funny lil thang holding the shells in the tube). If you have a parked gun, you might just need to work the action a lot (break-in) and thoroughly clean the mag tube. When I got mine (parked), I had to clean the mag tube because of binding.Be more descriptive about the problem. how does it feel when you work the action? does it feed with a full tube but not with a partial load? Does it feel 'scratchy' when you operate the shell latch (manual download)? Tell us more.

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.

First, make sure you're not babying it - work the action decisively. You won't hurt it. When you open it, make sure you open it completely, and bump it against its limit. It's the bump that pops the next round out of the magazine.

My 590 was a bit finicky at first, too, especially with light dummy rounds, and when I didn't firmly work the action (slam that baby!).

I got a new magazine spring from Wolff, and haven't had a problem since. The gal at Wolff mentioned they've been seeing a lot of mag springs going out for newer 590's lately.

Huck

Welcome to TFL. I live sort of nearby in Santa Barbara. Good to have another CA member.

By the way, overlubrication can also cause feeding problems, or so I've heard. Good luck.

Back