MOSSBERG 500 Milestone !!!!!

T_PRO_Z

Hello all, I just got finished shooting my Mossberg 500 yesterday and hit the 5000 round point with no troubles and it is still going strong. it is the 275-300$ one that you can get at walmart. I have had it for about a year and a half and wanted to put it through its paces. I was told id be lucky if I made it that far and really, I see another good 10-20 thousand rounds in its future.

what kind of experiences have you all had with you 500s??

(still wont beat my 1100 :D)

It's a subtle thing, and I'm not being snarky here.

This section is:
The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

I think you wanted the shotgun section:
The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

But if this is the worst thing you do today I'm very envious...that is, it is NOT a big deal.

Who told you your 500 would only last 5,000 rounds? I don't know how many i have through mine, but I'm pretty sure I'm between 5,000 and 10,000 and still going strong. I have a couple buddies that claim over 20,000 through theirs. I would think that unless you feed your a steady diet of 3-inch slugs, your 500 should run trouble-free for quite some time.

I would think that unless you feed your a steady diet of 3-inch slugs, your 500 should run trouble-free for quite some time.

You shoot a steady diet of 3" slugs and YOU won't be trouble-free for very long!.:eek::D

Any decent pump should last a long time with a minimum of care as there are really very few parts that should break - extractor, firing pin, firing pin spring are about all I can think of.

You shoot a steady diet of 3" slugs and YOU won't be trouble-free for very long!.

You're right about that. Several years ago, just for giggles, I shot about 25 magnum slugs through my 500, in about 3 minutes. My shoulder was sore and bruised for four or five days as I recall.

I like to shoot slugs quite often. what are the troubles that I could run into?

also, one of the guys I work with in the office said that his crapped out at around 3000 but I don't have much confidence in his statements because he told me he broke 2 berretta 92fs pistols in one day that were brand new shooting 3 gun. my Beretta has close to 8000 through it and it is barley worn.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old Mossberg 500. My 30 something year old 500 probably has upwards of 3500 rounds through her, of which approximately 750 are 3" Mag, Remington sluggers. It's been muddy, frozen, submerged (long story :o ), any generally beaten up. It's not pretty, but has never skipped a beat. Lots of meat in the freezer with the old girl. She's still my favorite shotgun. My kids will be hunting with it long after I'm gone.

I wouldn't worry about round count in your Mossberg. They can take a lot of abuse. Look up Demolition Ranch on YouTube and watch what he has put his through.

Good grief. With a minimum of care it should easily be a 100,000 + round gun. The 3", 2-3/4" Magnum, and slug loads do not put ANY additional stress on anything because the SAAMI maximum pressure specs are the same and it's designed for that.

Mine was getting light primer strikes until a local gunsmith suggested I check the forearm lock nut. It was very loose, so I hope it 'fixes the glitch'.

I never was much for looking things up online to see how they hold up before I found this forum. I always said "if it breaks, I'll get it fixed". I started looking up TORTURE TESTS and I cannot believe that some people put their guns through that but it is very interesting to watch. I believe the mossy 500 is my new favorite shotgun lol ( besides my 1100 and my bernardelli skeet).

I do mean bernardelli. it is made by Verona. idk how many times I have to clarify that to my buddies lol.

There's probably not a better "do-all" shotgun than a Mossberg 500. They aren't pretty, aren't refined, aren't expensive.

But they will work, and if something causes them not to, 99% of the time it's something the user can fix cheaply.

Gun snobs don't like them, and that's cool. But those guns keep working and working, and a TON of game has fallen to the 500 over the years.

Price and acceptance from pretty gun purists aside, it's one of the best shotguns ever made. If you specialize in a specific area of shotgunning, there is better for this or that; but for sheer UTILITY few are equal to or better.

In my opinion a person could do a lot worse than a Mossberg 500, but short of a $1200+ gun couldn't do too much better.

Back