Mossberg 500 mag tube problem

TN-popo

I've got a Mossberg 500 and I'd like to replace the mag spring. I expected the tube end-cap to be similar to the 870's, but it's not! The inside is threaded of course for the barrel to screw in and the outside is smooth. How do I get it off without marring it up? Thanks

When you take the barrel off, the mag tube unscrews frome the receiver. You don't have to remove the forearm. Just unscrew the mag tube. Then pull the tube out of the forearm and the spring is right there.

Another great feature of Mossberg's!

The first time I tried to unscrew the magtube off of my M500, I found it exceedingly difficult! What I ended up doing is placing the gun (unloaded of course) so that the muzzle is facing right. I sat on my bottom with the gun in front of me, placed both feet on the receiver, and used those rubber thingies that women use to open jars ;) on the magtube itself. Push forward with your feet, twist back with your hands. Uh, if you're rather heavy, try not to warp the receiver - it is aluminum afterall. :D

Also, be careful of the spring in there - once you unscrew the tube, the follower could fly out. Wear eye protection. Once you remove the tube for the first time, subsequent removals will not be so difficult.

A pair of Channellocks with a rag drapped wrapped around the mag tube will work. Or an old bicycle tire tube.

Back