Mossberg 500 forend question

EmptyHull

I bought a Mossberg 500 #50521 a couple weeks ago after I went to the store only to find out that they sold their only 590A1 the night before. That said, I looked at the 870 Tac and the Mossberg 500 and like the Mossy better. The weapon is great and shoots very well. The gunsmith there didn't like the new style pinned slide action but said he has never had one come in for repair. Has anyone heard of the newer slide action breaking? Tim

I had a pinned forend on my Mossberg 500. It didn't give me any problems, but had the tendency to flex a bit more then I liked . I haven't really read of anyone having trouble with them breaking.. They are found on the Maverick 88's and I have not heard anyone say they broke on those either.

Only time you will run into problems is if you want to change the forend. I wanted to change my stock and forend to a Hogue overmolded set. It required that I buy a slide tube assembly, adding to the cost (ProMag PM197 slide tube assembly). After the change over to an actual slide tube, it got rid of 80% of the play in the forend (Mossberg's always have some play)...Other then that, shoot it and don't worry :)

Some have them, some don't. I don't know why.. but I found that most of the "combo" packages that have synthetic stocks and matte finish, you find in stores like Cabelas, Dicks and such have the pinned. Where Other models have the slide tube (mostly the blued persuader models).

Example from Bud's

Pinned
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...622/Mossberg+50521+500SP+12+18+6SH+CB+PGK+PRK

Slide tube
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...76/Mossberg+50411+500SP+12+18+CB+6SH++SYN+PGK

The Mossberg I have that came with the pinned, I bought at Cabela's and it was a combo that came with a 18.5" breacher with white dot barrel and a 28" ported ,vent rib with 3-chokes barrel.

Yep, Wasp has the one that I have. Mine is a model #50521 which has a parkerized finish which I really like. There is some wobble with this forend but if is sturdy, I will probably leave it on. Mine was bought from a local gun store. Someone said that since it is polymer that it will not put wear on the magazine tube. Tim

Back