mossberg 500 for HD storage: round chambered or not -- part 2

ezmiraldo

Hey folks! Just received an email from mossberg customer service on this. I think it would be useful to share it with everyone. Here it is:

-----------------------------------

Thank you for your email we do perform a drop test here at our manufacturing facility also we do not recommend storing it with a round in the chamber for safety reason and it can also effect the tension in the spring if you have any question please call our service center at 1-800-363-3555 Monday-Friday 7:00am-5:00pm central dial 2 .

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 8:41 PM
To: Service
Subject: Form submission from: Contact Us
Submitted on Mon, 04/20/2015 - 9:40pm
Subject: I have a question about a product, part or service
Hi there! I own Mossberg 500 for HD (and love this shotgun). I have a question about storing the firearm. I currently store it with safety on, chamber empty, mag tube full. However, I would prefer to store it with a round in the chamber. The reasons for it are: working the pump is a target indicator, loss of dexterity during HD situation might induce user error when having to press slide release button and work the pump, it gives me one extra round inside the shotgun, weapon is brought into action faster.

However, I have heard that Mossberg 500 isn't "drop safe" and can fire if dropped with a round in the chamber. How do you recommend storing it: Round in the chamber, safety on; or, chamber empty, safety on? Or, some other method? What would happen if the shotgun falls when it has a round in the chamber?

Just gotta wonder, if you currently store your Mossberg unloaded what's the point of having the saftey engaged?

Personally I don't store my Mossberg loaded, while they may do drop tests at the factory I have been told my too many credible sources that they aren't entirely drop safe.

My Thunder Ranch is cruiser ready. With the magazine empty I rack the the slide, trip the trigger, place on fire and then load the magazine. If you need it, all you need to do is rack the slide.

Does anyone know what the mossberg rep means when he talks about "tension in the spring" increasing when one stores shotgun w. a round in the chamber?

"Does anyone know what the mossberg rep means when he talks about "tension in the spring" increasing when one stores shotgun w. a round in the chamber?"

No, and neither does the Mossberg rep.

I left an 8-shot Mossberg 500 loaded for about 30 years. Yes, the mag spring is not as strong as it once was. Still functions though.

Just gotta wonder, if you currently store your Mossberg unloaded what's the point of having the saftey engaged?

exactly

I have never used a safety - either the gun is loaded and ready to go, or the action is open and safe

That's an odd response from Mossberg. The chambered round does nothing to spring tension unless the person normally dry fires the gun to release the hammer tension. In my experience, it seems very few people give any thought to that and almost everyone fails to decock (dry fire) their guns before storing them. I have a friend who regularly fired a cheapo New England Arms Pump for 15 years without ever even cleaning it, and without even the thought of decocking it. Still works fine, though it is hideously filthy inside.

Mechanically, I wouldn't give it any thought. But as for the concept of keeping it with a chambered round, that sounds a bit excessive. Unless you have some kind of imminent threat, I would weigh the dangers of keeping a gun in the house like that higher than the benefits of saving a split second of time and the extra noise from chambering a round.

No manufacturer is going to tell you to store a loaded firearm simply due to possible liability issues.

They also will tell you not to use reloaded ammo

Store it the way you prefer, just like millions of others do

Un-chambered!!!!

The "Cha-Chick" sound of loading a round is VERY intimidating to anyone downsteam of the barrel. And it only takes less than 0.5 seconds to cycle it!

Safety......we don't need no stinkin' safety!

If I was keeping it in my vehicle I would keep it "cruiser ready". However for home defense there are other considerations. You don't want to rack the slide to give away your presence. It's really hard to quietly work the action, while under stress, and not accidentally short stroke. You don't want to take the time to chamber and aim after you encounter a home invader. Sure it's only a quarter second to chamber but then you have to reaim too(or risk a bad shot) and that time could be the difference between life and death. For home defense I want that +1. That extra round could save a life. If you are going to assume(for safety sake) that a gun is always loaded... it might as well be loaded. Never use anything less than #4 Buck for home defense... EVER, and it's much much preferred to use #1 Buck or greater. If you want non lethal options, either get a dog, or a bunch of those roach/tear gas bombs. Never intentionally directly encounter an invader, unless you are prepared to use lethal force. Check your home defense weapons at least twice per year(I make a point to check all mine when I check my smoke alarms).

My Mav 88 20g is stored loaded in my SoloVault, ready to defend.

e29f8eb4-dfb4-4117-8dd5-6f6cf7b03f4c.jpg

Noob question here, do shotguns inherently have issues with drop safety or is this isolated to the 500? I see a lot in regards to drop tests in pistol reviews but not so much long guns that I can recall.

Back