Mossberg 500 bolt on recoil pad recommendations

natman

My 12 ga Mossberg 500 with factory synthetic stock needs a new recoil pad. It's a ~30 year old plain Jane 12 ga that came with a 28" blued choke tube barrel, not some exotic special model. Which is preferred, a Kick Eez, a Limbsaver or something else?

Factors are recoil comfort and above all, an accurate bolt on fit.

Limbsaver

The Limbsaver outfit supposedly makes a screw on replacment soft space rubber butt pad for the Moss 500. I bought the same pad for our Moss 835, the pads are supposedly interchangeable. Not sure how the fit would be with your older gun.

I have some Kick-eeze pads custom fitted on other guns, and can not honestly say I feel the difference one to the other. But the upgraded pads make a big difference for me in felt recoil with big bump 3" turkey loads.

The Limbsaver outfit supposedly makes a screw on replacment soft space rubber butt pad for the Moss 500. I bought the same pad for our Moss 835, the pads are supposedly interchangeable. Not sure how the fit would be with your older gun.

How was the fit on your gun?

I got a Classic Precision Fit Limbsaver. It turns out that it's important to go to the Limbsaver website and filter the list of templates by your manufacturer and compare the templates to your stock. There is more than one size of Mossberg synthetic stock. Mine turned out to be a "4 7/8 inch synthetic", so I ordered the appropriate pad. The pad fit perfectly, but one hole didn't match, so I had to drill a new one. It was far enough off that there was enough space that the old hole wasn't an issue. Much cushier than the old hardened factory pad.

https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-pads-precision-fit

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I have a Mossberg 590. I purchased the Limbsaver pad and it reduced the recoil significantly and I am very happy with the product. You can buy the Limbsaver on Amazon for a few dollars less than from the Limbsaver website but I was a little confused on what to order so i called Limbsaver direct. The person I talked to was extremely helpful and told me exactly what I needed to order. I can't recommend Limbsaver enough.

Back