Mossberg 500 Barrel

davem

Someone said having a forcing cone extended improves patterns but you cannot do it with a chrome lined barrel. Does the standard Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun have a chrome lined barrel? Has anyone done this forcing cone extension and if so- how did it work? :cool:

A lengthened forcing cone can - can - improve (put more pellets in the circle) patterns maybe in the 1 to 3% range max. Unless you are pushing the absolute maximum range limit, just change the choke.

Don't believe an M500 has a chromed barrel. Mossbergs does chrome their O/U's, but there's no mention of it for the 500 on their site. That'd be a big time marketing thing if they did.
A lengthened forcing cone might affect the pattern. Reducing felt recoil is daft though. If there is any reduction physics would not allow the shooter to feel it. Lots of arguing on-line about it. Hawks says there's no proof. Other guys say otherwise. One guy says the finish on an extended forcing cone is more important than the extension.

Which barrel length and choke are you using? And what kind of range are you intending to use it at. With the turkey choke in mine with 28 inch barrel I only get 15 inches of spread at 35 yards. This is a late 90's 500.

A quick way to find out is to put a dab of cold blue on the interior of the barrel. I doubt the M-500 has a chrome lined bore. The usual warning apply- clear the gun and remove the barrel, clean the barrel, then apply the cold blue to the interior of the barrel.

For what it's worth I wouldn't put any money toward an extended forcing cone- we used to offer that and most hunters couldn't tell the difference.

I read that buckshot is stacked in layers and as the wad moves forward into the bore a lengthen forcing cone can improve the pattern- I was looking for feed back on anyone that did this.

Buckshot is usually loaded in just a wad. Buckshot is useless past about 35 or so yards depending on the choke. Typical chokes used with buck is none or IC. Any pattern improvement from just a lengthen forcing cone would be imperceptible.

Back