Mossberg 500 barrel question

Pops1085

I have a 28" ported barrel for my mossberg 500 and was wondering if anybody had noticed on thiers that there is a slight increase in the barrels diameter towards the muzzle. It's very slight but every once in a while if the light caught it right I thought it looked like the barrel bulged a little bit right after the ports, but it looks like from there on the barrel is that thickness. Maybe it's a little thicker right there to give space to cut the choke tube threads? I have nothing to compare it to so I figured I'd check here.

I'm talking about the outside diameter, it has a choke in it. The barrel just seems like it flares after the porting

It does, for the reason so stated, to accommodate the choke tube, the muzzles are slightly flared. Standard chokes are cheaper and easier than using thinwall chokes, so the muzzle needs that. Expensive Blasers and Kreighoffs are the same way.

oh, very cool! Thanks for the info. I used to have a similar 870 but never noticed the barrel flare for the chokes like that. The only reason I think I can see it is because it's a blued gun so I notice the slight light distortion.

Not every barrel has that. I own a Browning (Japanese) and some call their barrels sewer pipes because they are heavy and thick-walled, thus they do not need the muzzle flared.

m talking about the outside diameter, it has a choke in it. The barrel just seems like it flares after the porting

I know, that's what I meant. That part of the barrel has a larger OD to keep the inner diameter flush until the choke restricts it.

Back