Mossberg 500/590

Lightsped

I am new to shotguns, and I am looking for a self defense/combat style shotgun. I have a few questions about Mossberg 500/590 line of guns.
1. What is the difference between the 500 and 590? Why is the 590 roughly 100-150 bucks more?
2. Is it possible to get a 590 with a 18.5 inch barrel?
3. Are there places to buy shorter barrels, pistol grips, and pistol foregrips for the 590? I am going for the SPAS-12 look. :)
Thanks

1. Not sure on this one, but I believe the 590 usually sports a heat shield, bayonet lug, longer magazine. There may be other differences.

2. Not sure on this one either. All the 590s I have seen have 20" barrels.

3. You can get all kinds of nice shotgun accessories from Bushmaster Firearms (http://www.bushmaster.com) or Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com).

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Go to www.mossberg.com you'll most of your answers there. Also, do a search. This question has been asked many times before. Don't limit yourself to the 500/590 either. Look inside most police cruisers and you'll find a Remington 870. Either will serve you well.

the 500 w/20" barrel is an 8shot. the 590 with 20" barrel is a 9shot, hence the 5"9"0 designation. i don't think mossy makes an 18.5" barrel for the 590. they do make one for the 590DA though. the price difference is tor the one extra round and the bayonet lug. you also need to find out if the 590 is a plain 590 or 590A1. these are different and could add to the price being higher. the stocks for 500/590 are interchangeable.

ned

1. Nedfig's answer sounds good to me.

2. They do make one; it has a five-shot magazine.

3. Not shorter barrels than 18.5", but pistol grips and stocks are readily available for both models. 590A1 barrels are thicker, and do not interchange with the other two models.

Review other threads for the necessity of bolt-on accessories for your shotgun, including pistol grips. By the way, I am new to shotgunning too. My gun is a stock Mossberg 590A1, with 20" barrel and 8 round magazine (model 51660). The only addition is a sling. I have a rear pistol grip, but I only use it for blowing up shi. . ., I mean, for sporting purposes.

Regards,

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited September 14, 2000).]

Hey Ledbetter,

Do you put the M7 bayonet on with that pistol grip? :) I wish Mossy made a bolt on bayo lug for the 500. I saw a bolt on lug and heat sheild for a Win 97 on E-Bay once, but it wouldn't have worked with the 20" model.

nedfig,

I got the M-7 bayonet and a sheath for about $15 at cheaperthandirt.com. The surplus bayonet must have been used for bayonet sharpening class. It was so sharp I just had to take an Arkansas stone to it to make it sharper still.

And yes, the gun looks like a mean MF with the pistol grip, the sling and the bayonet. But it's just for fun. Really.

Regards,

Ledbetter

errr-

Ledbetter: Heavy A1 barrel WILL swap into other 500/590 receivers... have done it.

It *is* tough to get the heat shield from a light barrel onto the heavy barrel but not impossible.

Jordan,

That's good to know, but will lighter barrels fit the 590A1 receiver? I've heard they will not.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Ledbetter: I bought a 590 when they were first offered then wanted to upgrade when the A1's came out.

Just needed to convince my Mom that she should buy a shotgun for HD, steered her towards the A1, then swapped over all the things "she didn't need".. metal trigger guard, safety, speedfeed, heavy barrel, ghostrings.

So AFAIK the switch will go both ways.

Back