Mossberg 500 20" Accuchoke Barrel turkey choke question

AdamSean

For those of you that have the 20" Accuchoke barrel for the Mossberg 500 or another 20" barrel shotgun that accepts choke tubes, I am planning on using this set up for turkey season. What chokes and more importantly, what constriction works best for these very short barrels? I want to find a good starting point so I don't have to spend a fortune to find the right one. I prefer to use the Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5 shotshell. Any recommendations?

I like a short compact shotgun when I'm curled up under a tree. And yes, I am going to have it wraped in camo.

Last edited:
The one that patterns the ammo you want to use in your gun. As mentioned, barrel length has nothing to do with choke.

Excellent, I will start where I have always started then. In the past, I have been very successful with a .670 constriction. As soon as I can find a Kick's Gobblin Thunder for a good price, I'll try it out.

I normally just use the standard factory full choke tubes. But there are lots of aftermarket extra-full tubes. I think that this is one of those things that guys tend to over think.

I've had 26 straight one shot kills with a 20" barrel and a stock Mossberg XFull choke, using Winchester 2oz 3" #4 lead.

Can't use lead in CA next year, so I'm going to have to find something else. :(

remote control

Uhhhhhh????? Does the remote control run the dot sight?????????

Seriously, I've shot a 20" rifle sighted slug barrel (mines a Rem 870) since 1989 on gobblers, and believed then and still do, that the arrangement is the ideal turkey set up. One suggestion is to trend toward the lighter payload shot shells (1-5/8 oz, 1-3/4 oz etc) as opposed to the heavy 1-7/8 or 2 oz loads. The shorter tubes will cost you some velocity, and the lighter, faster payloads are a small step in gaining some of that back.

I use that same lead, XR load, and believe it is the best lead load thus far developed for gobblers. Affordable too, or it was, and still way cheaper than space shot.

I note the dot sight on your shotgun and that is good too. Watch out though, for dead batteries and trouble with wet/rain. Spring gobbler season seems fraught with wet weather,....be double sure your dot sight will hold up to a dunking. Myself, I'd only use a very high quality dot for gobblers.

Back