Mossberg 375 ruger Patriot on it's way

stagpanther

Winters are long in Maine, and I usually while away the very long night hours with my version of knitting--building new AR's.

I have most of the parts lined up--and was out looking at barrels, and it hit me like a flash--I'm just "AR'd out" and need a change of pace (plus I kaboomed one recently, but we don't need to talk about that here :o). I decided something along the lines of a 45-70 or 450 marlin in a lever gun might be something to try--always wanted to add one to my lever gun collection. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I got sidetracked into looking at Mossberg's Patriot in 375 Ruger and I thought to myself--that's darn good looking--and the specs and price ($450 through SG) were equally attractive. Before I knew what was happening--my hand on the computer mouse all by itself completed the order!

Interested in hearing the good, bad or ugly from anyone who's had experience with it.:)

PS--I know the 375 ruger has a rep for heavy recoil--but my reasoning was, I (sometimes) fire 3" magnums and slugs out of my 12 gauge 870 that are hitting back at around 47 ftlbs--so how bad could it be? :)

Last edited:
You don't need a 375 Ruger. I don't need one either but I have one.:D
To me, in similar rifles, I can not tell any difference in recoil between it and the H&H. It is mild compared to my 375 Weatherby. (Yes, 375, please no one tell me its a 378 because it is not) I am putting a brake on my 375 Ruger. I will have it done sometime this week. I can handle the recoil of it, but I have no desire to; so brake it is. I did not know Mossberg made one, learn something new everyday.

You don't need a 375 Ruger. I don't need one either but I have one.
To me, in similar rifles, I can not tell any difference in recoil between it and the H&H. It is mild compared to my 375 Weatherby. (Yes, 375, please no one tell me its a 378 because it is not) I am putting a brake on my 375 Ruger. I will have it done sometime this week. I can handle the recoil of it, but I have no desire to; so brake it is. I did not know Mossberg made one, learn something new everyday.
I thought about putting a brake on too--but I'm guessing that means the front sight comes off. I'll shoot it for a while to see whether on not I can stand it without one. Maybe there's an advantage to a rifle that will limit the amount of ammo you'll fire in a session? ;)

Here's a link to the rifle. After reading the features and the price (just over $400)--I was pretty impressed and figured it would be an interesting weapon to try out.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-patriot-laminate-marinecote-adjustable-rifle-sights-27910/

I have a .375 Ruger built on a M70 action, I built it the first year the .375 Ruger was introduced. I used to shoot it a lot, now I hardly take it out of the safe. It's a great cartridge and the recoil isn't horrible, but it's more than I'll ever need unless I hunt DG someday.

No, I don't load down my ammunition I don't see a point to it. I don't load down any of my rifles as if I wanted it to perform like something else, I would just buy a rifle in that cartridge as well. I don't see the point in making a .30-06 shoot like a .30-30, seems like a waste of potential to me. I also don't try to make a smaller cartridge perform like a bigger one.

Shooting reduced loads doesn't teach you how to handle the rifle either. Even reloading it's a lot more expensive to load for the .375 Ruger than more suitable plinking rifles. So if I want economy and less recoil I'll choose a smaller cartridge to get the job done.

Shooting reduced loads doesn't teach you how to handle the rifle either. Even reloading it's a lot more expensive to load for the .375 Ruger than more suitable plinking rifles. So if I want economy and less recoil I'll choose a smaller cartridge to get the job done.
My interest has nothing to do with avoiding absorbing the full kick--has everything to do with optimizing the bullet type to game selection. The 375 ruger is known to be very adaptable and versatile for loads from small thin-skinned small game all the way up to deep-penetrating smashers for DG. Conceivably, it can be a do-all cartridge from what I've read. That's the main reason I'm interested in it. I have a 300 win mag and have used it for a long time--never saw the need for a 30-06 or even the 308 for 30 caliber except maybe it's a bit heavier and a bit more of a pain to reload for--but so what. And...I like big holes. : )

Last edited:
Smiles per dollar. Not sure on the price so maybe smiles per 2 dollar bill.
From what I can tell so far--reloading for it using lower BC flat base type bullets looks equal to or less than loading for my 300wm. Once I move into the exotic monolithics or high BC bullets the price per bullet goes up--small price to pay when you need something to get the job done on DG I would think (and yes, that day may never come for me--but who knows).

Shooting reduced loads doesn't teach you how to handle the rifle either.

I disagree with that statement as it stands, it really needs a caveat. Reduced loads are very useful as a marksmanship training tool, what reduced loads don't teach you how to handle the recoil of full power loads.

But a 30-06 at 30-30 levels is a very appropriate way to get a youngster used to shooting a "big rifle" and let them hunt game suitable for the 30-30. Eventually kids grow up and full power loads won't be a hindrance to good marksmanship. Or a 375 Ruger at 375 Win levels for the same level of recoil reduction to introduce less experienced shooters to centerfire hunting rifles.

Jimro

Jimro said:
But a 30-06 at 30-30 levels is a very appropriate way to get a youngster used to shooting a "big rifle" and let them hunt game suitable for the 30-30. Eventually kids grow up and full power loads won't be a hindrance to good marksmanship. Or a 375 Ruger at 375 Win levels for the same level of recoil reduction to introduce less experienced shooters to centerfire hunting rifles.

I don't disagree, I loaded up magic bullets for my daughter so she could learn to shoot. She handles recoil much better these days, but she would prefer to shoot smaller cartridges than bigger ones. I said I don't download "my ammunition", I guess I should have been more specific.

stagpanther said:
My interest has nothing to do with avoiding absorbing the full kick--has everything to do with optimizing the bullet type to game selection

Best bullet then is going to be a 260-270 grain bullet traveling about 2700 FPS. Shoots very similar to a 180 grain out of a .30-06 and will work well on everything in North America. I used a Hornady 270 grain SP to take a pronghorn at 275 yards with my Ruger. Hit him just ahead of the right hip and the bullet exited the left side at the neck crease.

I've since settled on the 260 grain Accubond as my favorite bullet in the .375 Ruger as my all around NA game bullet. I see no point in tailoring the load any further than that, there isn't a lot of bloodshot meat and it hits everything hard. If I hunt DG I'll probably step up to 300 grain solids and A-Frames.

Last edited:
I can't find the accubonds anywhere--Midway lists them as special production or discontinued--even Nosler lists them as out of stock.:( I'm hopeful for the 250 gamekings--the 358 225's shoot very well out of my 358 win build.

Last edited:
Well Taylor, I have to agree with you; I do not load down anything. Years ago I was shooting my .300 WBY and someone asked to shoot it. He commented about how bad it kicked and said something like "man you do not need to load that thing that hot." My answer was "I have a .30-06 in the safe. I did not spend a pile of money on a .300 WBY to turn it into a .30-06."

Back