Mossber 500 Extraction issues?

BlueSmoke14

Was at the range today running a Mossberg 500 and a Pardner Pump Protector.

Was using the Federal bulk pack 12ga shells. 1 1/8 oz #8's, 3 dram equivalent. Twice I had the Mossberg 500 fail to pull the shell from the chamber. I thought the twin extractors would be bullet proof and not allow this to happen.

The Pardner Protector did not miss a beat and pulled every shell from the chamber.

My Mossberg is from the late 70's.

Should I get a new bolt for it? Replace the extractor springs?

Guidance appreciated.

BlueSmoke

Regards,

BlueSmoke

First thing I would is take some Hops #9 put it on some 00 steal wool and scrub the chamber. Even though you may keep your gun clean a thin layer of gunk will still build up over the years. Test it after that. If that didn't help then I would replace the extractors.

i thought only the nasty cheap remington 870 expresses did that, never ever a mossberg with TWO extractors. eastbank.

Clean it thoroughly before ordering parts. Pay particular attention to the chamber and the area beneath the extractors' hooks.

If you still experience problems with factory ammo after cleaning it, find a Mossberg armorer or gunsmith.

at our trap range we see that problem with just about all brands of shotguns with the winchester wally world low brass(steel) 12ga target value packs of four boxes. eastbank.

But the OP experienced the problem with the Federals, not the Winchesters, from WalMart. He says it is a 70's gun and I wonder if the extractors are worn. If they are why not replace them? Could they even be so gunked up with crud so as to cause the problem and only need a cleaning? Like 4V50 Gary suggests.

The solution is 5 minutes away. Break it down and look an the bolt parts. It's by far one of the easiest shotguns to take apart. And tons of videos on Youtube if you don't know how.

My own Mossberg 500 is as old or older, and was well used when I got it for $75.
It always worked perfectly until last year, when it started not ejecting sometimes.
After some research, it was suggested to check the ejector screw. I did, and found it had loosened a turn. Tightened up with locktite, and all is well again.

Back