mosin wont take cleaning rod

mp25ds4

Hello, I was recently given a 1943 91/30 mosin nagant that my uncle picked up in vietnam that didnt come with a cleaning rod and whenever i try to put one in off of my other mosins it wont go in all the way and it sticks out about 3" past the tip of the barrel. I dont know if there is alot of dirt in the threads or what? any suggestions on what I could do to try to get the cleaning rod in?

I don't think he means that it sticks out of the barrel...it just sticks outside the barrel...

I was reading something recently, about removing and installing the cleaning rod nut in the stock on a mosin nagant. I will try and dig it up.

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who shoots m-44's a lot. He said if its not threading down, to take a 17hmr brush soaked in WD-40 and gently work it around, blow it out with an airhose and repeat. Maybe that will help.

I had the same problem with my M44...there is a nut inside of the stock that the cleaning rod threads into to hold it into place. I actually had to remove the nut from the stock and clean it out. The hole was a packed full of dirt so the rod wouldn't thread......

Back