Mosin stocks - laminate vs. wood?

AlexI

Hi guys,

I am toying with the idea of bying one of those Mosins that are now available very cheap in excellent (rearsenalled) condition and using it as my next hobby project (make into a sort of pseudo scout).
Anyway, I need to decide what kind of stock to get it with - there is a choice of laminate or wood. I have no experience with these laminate stocks, but leaning towards laminate for the followign reasons:
- must be stronger than wood, less dings on the serface and less trouble with deformation around the receiver mounting surfaces?
- must be more stable and not prone to deforming due to moisture/temperature changes?
- probably easier to finish (or at least no more trouble to work with than wood)?

I would appreciate any comments from your experience on the above points, pro or contra.

Thank you.
Alex.

depends on what you want to do.

The laminate would (pun alert) be more stable.

you may want to look at Boyds wooden stocks before you start with the one that comes with the rifle. They are about a $100 I think.

Laminate stocks tend to be more stable with less chance of warping. You can get a synthetic stock from ATI. They are about 50 for the black and 80 for the camo. If you do stay with wood, may I suggest a rubber butt pad. those run about 15.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably order one with laminate - like it better than the plastic ATI stock for the looks, plus I want to actually work on it (the whole point is this will be a hobby project for this winter).

A rubber butt pad is definitely part of the project (a Limbsaver worked very well for me on my last Mauser M48 scout project).

Any suggestions which pad to use for a Mosin? I would prefer a permanently installed nice looking one like I did with the Mauser, but not sure it will work with Mosin because of the buttplate wrapping around the stock pretty far top and bottom. Are there any "pull on" pads that fit Mosin well and look decent?

I have MN M-44 with the laminate stock and have found it to be as durable and stable as a fencepost - as is the rest of the rifle. Mine isn't a project gun, like you are contemplating, so you may end up ditching the issue stock anyway....

Back