Mosin sight in

Drummer101

I shot my m44 at 25 yards today and I got a decent 4 shot group with touching holes.

But it was about 4.5 inches high (don't want to do 100 and have it go off yander). And with the bayonet out it was only about a half an inch to the right.

How close would this be to 100 yards? If it is off what would be a good fix?

I think the best one I heard about was getting a brass tube and putting it over the front sight and adjust accordingly.

Another "strange" thing, the best groups came from 147 grain ammo.

shoot it at 100 yards and see what it does. 4.5" high at 25 yards sounds like about a 400 yard zero. Was the rear sight all the way down?

heard about was getting a brass tube and putting it over the front sight and adjust accordingly.

You don't want to do that nor do you want to have to shoot with the Bayonet on all the time.

Its a simple fix and doesn't cost anything.

First off you need to shoot it at 100 yards with the sight set for 100.

Now check and see how high it is. Mine was 8 inches high at 100.

For each inch high or low on the Mosin, you need to adjust .0061 inches.

You don't want to add to the front sight, you want to lower the rear sight.

The rear sight consist of a "ladder" the sight slides up and down to change elevation.

Take the rear sight off buy pushing out the pivit pin. Turn the rear sight over and grind or file (I used a miling machine) .0061 for every inch you are high.

For example, as mentioned mine shot 8 inches high at 100 yards. 8 X .0061 = .0488. So I milled that much off the bottom of the sight, put it back on the rifle and it was right on at 100. When set at 200 it was on at 200, 300 at 300 etc etc.

When you put the sight back on the rifle, you wont see the modification.
This is also a legal modification if you decide to shoot the rifle in CMP GSM Vintge Miliary Rifle Matches.

Whether you decide to grind or file. make sure you do it straight, you don't want the sight to set cockeyed on the rifle. Take your time, grind/file, measure, grind/file and measure until you take off the right amount off the bottom fo the sight.

Yes the sight was all the way down.

I can try to give it a shot at 100 yards, but it may not happen for awhile (people at the range typically seem to shot a shorter distance unless no one is there at lunch time).

But I bookmarked this so when I can I will know what to do.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Hello,

Were you shooting with the bayonet deployed?

Russian doctrine was that the bayonet was to be affixed whenever in battle. In fact, it was rarely taken off.

Because of this, the Mosin was typically sighted with the bayonet on.

Without the bayonet, it will typically shoot high and sometimes to the right.

Try it with the bayonet deployed, and if you still have problems, follow the advice Mr. Stuart gave. If you would like a different front sight, I offer a variety. I use a combination of the two techniques myself.

Regards,

llc%20sig.jpg

More details.

kraigwy
I have a Mosin M44 I think your measurements are based off the 91/30. But to change the numbers I am thinking it would only involve a ratio of the sight radius.

With the bayonet extended It was 4.5 inches up and .5 inches to the right at 25 yards. Shooting off a bench I got 4 shots touching 5th being a flier.

Without it it was far left and high at 25 yards (barely on paper kind of thing) but this was kneeling without a sling.

I looked online for the rifle range hours and I wont be able to go for awhile :(

Josh, just looked at your website, tempting (dont have access mill to do it the other way)

kraigwy
I have a Mosin M44 I think your measurements are based off the 91/30. But to change the numbers I am thinking it would only involve a ratio of the sight radius.

OK don't know the radius of the M44. So measure the sight radius, from the rear sight to the front sight.

Divide the sight radius by 3600 and it will give you the amount you need to move the sight to move the impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

SR/3600 = Movement needed per inch at 100 yards.

100 times 36 (inches per yard) = 3600

If i recall correctly the M-44 is zero at 300 meters.
762x54R.net or mosin.net are wonderful resources and can better answer your questions.

Back