mosin question

customaquatics

minus the fact it is a mosin an look at the round itself. besides whitetails what other game animal is this round capable of taking down? i would say it could possibly take a elk since it does use a .308 head. take in fact of the Military armor-piercing surplus an the brown bear an other factory loads.

MIlitary ball, fmj, parmor piercing, tracers, and the like have absolutely no place in hunting. A hunters primary concern is to poke a hole in a critter that will ensure a clean and humane kill of said critter. FMJ's tend to scoot right on through with no expansion, no appreciable exit wound, less transfer of energy, much less blood trail to follow. Sure some folks do it, some poachers do it- and they may have good kill/loss/tracking ratios... but that does not make it right, ethical, or humane in my book.

The cartridge, with even a decent lead soft tip is in the same league as the .30-06 and .308 as far as what critters it'll dispatch.

As long as you do your part to get the shot into the kill zone- I sure don't see why not. I wouldn't stretch the shot out to magnum rilfe distances, but they've been kilt with lesser cartriges.

With quality hunting ammo that should be fine for elk. Granted I've never hunted elk but the 7.62x54 is no slouch and with good SP ammo I would use it. Kinda clumsy but certainly doable.

s friend accidentally loaded up armor piercings into his 30-06 one time he went out hunting, he unloaded on an elk and it just stood there looking around trying to figure out what the racket was. out of bullets and with nothing else to do at the moment my friend just watched it for a while. a couple minutes later it dropped where it stood. every single round hit the kill zone and did a through and through but without any kind of expansion or shock to the tissue there is nothing to really knock the animal to it's knees and if it hadn't been for the fact that this was an unusually tame animal, my friend would have been tracking it for hours waiting for it to bleed out.

do not use FMJ or steel core ammo for hunting. using a tracer is just stupid, why would you want something to cauterize the wound channel as it goes?

with that said. 54R in a good 160-180 grain soft point or ballistic tip will easily be acceptable for elk, brown bear, moose, and just about anything else native to the lower 48 except for maybe Bison.

ok i was wondering cause i had the thread about bear an moose with my AR but if i can do it with the Mosin i don't have to buy another rifle which is good!!! now to customize the mosin lol.i was thinking one of the boyds-http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/PH-MOSIN-NAGANT-MBC-NL-F-p/500-158.htm

if you are going to sporterize the mosin nagant keep it simple and stay away from ATI products. I have spent most of my summer sporterizing one of mine and being about $400 deep, I would rather take my military style 91/30 over the sportered model. the boyds stock makes it a lot lighter but it it will increase the felt recoil a great deal.

i was going to do a Boyds stock with a pre-made bent bolt an a drill an tap scope mount. i was going to go buy a avarage mosin, since im not going to do this to my Ex-Sniper. this mosin was just going to be a regular 1940's Tula.

i was going to do a Boyds stock with a pre-made bent bolt an a drill an tap scope mount. i was going to go buy a avarage mosin, since im not going to do this to my Ex-Sniper. this mosin was just going to be a regular 1940's Tula.

the premade bent bolts are a lot more expensive but will preserve your already existing bolt so I would say that is a good choice however I would recommend one of the scope mounts that attaches to the rear sight base so that there are no permanent modifications to the rifle. like I said, stay away from ATI products I used their scope mount on my 91/30 and got it mounted perfectly, just like all the pictures in the instructions and got a scope on it and at the scopes lowest setting I hit 2 inches high at 35 yards which increases to about 6 inches high at 100. there is no way I would ever go hunting with it past those ranges so I have pretty much decided that it is a garbage gun now.

i wouldn't clasify any gun as a garbage gun as it could save your life someday. an the drill an tap would be the most secure mount i could get. since the rear sight base seems like it would get loose after the recoil of those big rounds.

For a traditional scope (not a LER), get the mount from Rock Solid Ind. for drill and tap.
For non-d&t, get the mount from JMeck...

For best accuracy, get the pillars from Rock Solid as well, epoxy bed the receiver and pillars into the Boyd's stock, and install a Timney trigger.

Back