Mosin Nagant

theplague42

I'm thinking about getting my first (fireable) centerfire rifle sometime over the summer, and I saw somewhere on this forum that you can get mil-surp Mosin Nagants for something like $80.

Basically I was wondering the cost of ammunition, accuracy at 100-200 yards (maybe a little longer), and if a scope is recommended. I'll most likely just be shooting paper at 100 yards, but there's some longer ranges a couple hours away from where I live that I might go to.

I won't be using it for hunting or anything. I'd just like something a little more substantial range-wise than a .22.

Last edited:
The Mosin Nagant is a good rugged rifle with a powerful cartridge 7.62x54R. They are not what you would refer to as a thing of beauty, but they do what they were designed to do. Accuracy will depend on the individual rifle but for the most part they will shoot 2-4 MOA (2"-4" at 100 yds.). Surplus ammunition is inexpensive and readily available. Although they are not the lazer target cutting trophy winners, they are definately a blast to shoot (pun intended). If you end up having difficulty hitting the target, just stab it with the bayonette!

Yeah you can attach a scope, google scope mounts for a Mosin, I don't use scopes on my Mosin as I shoot it in CMP GSM games where it has to be as issued.

I understand cheap surplus ammo is available however I reload for my Mosin.

They will shoot, Nothing uncommon of getting a Mosin that can shoot 3 MOA. Thats enough to clean the CMP GSM targets.

Chance are the Mosin will shoot high, that is correctable fairly easy. To determine how much correction is needed, measure the sight radius (front sight to rear sight). Divide the Sight Radius by 3600. That should will tell you how much your sights need to be change per ONE MOA.

Lets say your sight radius is 23 inches. 22 inches divided by 3600 = .0061

The Mosin is an excellent, accurate rifle if one takes the time to learn to shoot it.

Each .0061 movement of the sight will move the bullet impact one inch at 100 yards.

Lets say your Mosin shoots 8 inches high (mine did). Its hard to add .0488 to the front sight, so the rear sight needs to be lowered. I milled the bottom of the slider on the rear sight .0488 allowing the slider to sit down lower on the sight base. I was right on at 100 yards. When I set the sight at 200, again I was on at 200 etc etc.

Careful, it doesn't take much to remove too much.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to get into the reloading business right now, but I'll save the brass if I do get one. Most of the guys at the local shooting club own reloading equipment and one has already offered to show me the ropes and reloading some of my handgun ammo.

Back