Mosin Nagant windage correction help???

capflyboy05

So I went shooting today.
She was pretty decent.
Although she was shooting right of her target.
How can I correct this?
Or is this part of learning to shoot this particular rifle?
Elevation wasnt too bad.
Probably just error from me.
I will be investing in a recoil pad very soon. :P lol

You can drift the front sight which ever way you need to go.

To figure out how far to drift it, measure the sight radius (rear sight to the front sight). Divide that number by 3600 (100 yards = 3600 inches).

That should be about .0061. That is how much you need to move the front sight to move the impact 1 inch.

Lets say you are 4 inches right.

4 X .0061 .0244

So if shooting right, drift the front sight left .0244 inches.

If you are shooting at a distance other than 100 yards, take Kraig's method:
To figure out how far to drift it, measure the sight radius (rear sight to the front sight). Divide that number by 3600 (100 yards = 3600 inches).
...and substitute 12 times the distance in feet, in place of the 3600.

Sight radius (in inches) / 12*Distance to target (in feet) * difference between point of aim and point of impact (in inches) = adjustment required (in inches)

The equation can be used for both elevation and windage adjustments.

I know how to do it now... but the front sight refuses to move.
I've tried various materials to get the stupid thing to move. :P

Some of those sight pins are really stuck due to years in the field combined with a lot of packing grease, and decades in a box. You may need to be a very persuasive person to convince them to move, if you know what I mean. I once had to use a 16 oz. hammer and a 1/4" brass punch to get one to move. Just be sure not to contact the lower dove tail when you are setting the punch. Good luck and happy shooying!

Well, I got her to move. :)
It took a rubber mallet and a screwdriver. lol
No damages to the guns sights or anything.
Just a very happy me....
Other than the fact I used enough Remoil for about 3 cleanings. haha
cant wait to get out to the range to try her out again.
I have a feeling I'm going to get very proficient with iron sights. :rolleyes:

capflyboy;
Welcome the fraternity of rifle shooters. You will find that the more you shoot, the more you want to shoot. These smokepoles are addictive.
In a few years your gunsafe will be filled with shiny blue, stainless steel and parkerized examples of the gunsmiths art.
Enjoy your Mosey and keep shooting. (and buying)

Roger

This was my second rifle in 2 weeks.
I was given a .22.
I've been shooting most my life.
And I was like, hell, I'll get another.
So these two will keep me busy for a while.
I'm planning on getting a shotgun next. :D

You are sick...just like the rest of us. Soon you will learn of another firearm that will not let you sleep untill you can aquire one. Congrats, and welcome.

There is also a tool you can buy that will allow you to "press" the sight either direction instead of beating... I mean, TAPPING on it. I can't access the site here at work (weapons.... oooooh, bad) but I copied the g00gle query response for it, which includes a URL... or you could simply g00gle it yourself.

"Adjusting the Mosin Front Sight - Surplusrifle.comStan Ward makes the LT 1 Mosin Nagant Front Sight Adjustment Tool for the ...
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mosinsights/index.asp - Cached - Similar"

Cap, I had the same problem.. couldn't get the darn site to move. Finally figured on using some liquid wrench and it worked like a charm. I ended up taking the rear sight of the gun and attaching a handgun scope to the 3/8th inch dovetail that is on the barrel. I started handloading ammo a couple years back and figured I would handload for this as well. I am so surprised how well this old gun shoots. I will not lie and tell you that it is an MOA shooter but I am getting 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. Not bad for a gun produced in 1948. I find that lately, every time I go to the range, my mosin-nagant comes with me. It is such a fun gun.

Back