Mosin Nagant vs. SKS.

mineralman

Ok, I just noticed how much .222 ammo costs, and so am looking for a full powered rifle for an affordable price (as opposed to .22 LR). Which is more accurate, the Mosin or the SKS? are there any little quirks that one should know about either of these? Any and all info would help.

~~~Mineralman

First off, the SKS does not chamber a full power cartridge. It shoots the Russian intermediate cartridge, namely 7.62x39 (7.62x25 is less powerful and 7.62x54 is more powerful). It was sort of Russia's first attempt at an assault rifle.

The Mosin-Nagant is chambered for the far more powerful 7.62x54 Rimmed cartridge. In a short barreled version (carbine), like my M44 or the M91/39 (think that's the number), the recoil is brutal. A stock replacement could probably tame the beast. I have no experience with the full-length rifle. My Polish made M44 is surprisingly accurate. As it is now, I believe I can outshoot any of my other military surplus rifles (Garand, FAL, Enfield). Keep in mind that extending and locking the bayonet, instead of leaving it folded (M44 only), will change the point of impact somewhat. My Polish M44 has about the best fit and finish of any other M44 I've seen. You'll love it for the $130 price!

Both are pretty good guns. I like the SKS. the 7.62x39 will get the job done. especially since there are alot of bulk ammo in full metal jacket hollow pint. The ammo is still super inexpensive. I recently got 500 rounds for 60 bucks and that is '99 production FMJHP.
It really depends on what you want it for.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Yes both are good guns. But I will go with the SKS. For the ammo purchases, semi-auto, more aftermarket products, and you can easily carry more ammo on your bandoliers. The Mosin-Nagant I see it as a sniper rifle or hunting rifle. Do not take offense, just my cruddy thought, ok. Anyways hope this helps. Later. :)

Here's a few questions, mineralman: out of your current set of rifles, which is chambered for the most potent cartridge? How much do you intend to shoot with it? What is this rifle's primary purpose? General shooting/hunting/target/etc?

I can't argue with the price of 7.62x39 issue. I know I buy tons of the stuff for my AK. Then again, the 7.62x54 isn't much more expensive when you consider the other cartridges in its power class (30-06 = min $10/20: .303 = $10/20). Also consider the price of the rifle: a SKS should go for about $200 and up these days and a very nice Mosin-Nagant goes for around $130, retail.

I think this decision really pivots on the role this rifle will play in your collection.

Back