Mosin Nagant vs. Rem 770

Cummins09

Inactive
So guys I have a question for some reccomendations. I have an SKS and planned on getting an AK because they share the same ammo. The AK would be a SHTF weapon for fighting off the gov'ment/other people trying to kill me for what ever reason. I know I shouldn't put a price on my survival but I refuse to pay the rediculous prices of "assault" rifles right now, so I decided to get a bolt-action.

I'd prefer not to spend a whole lot as I'd like to buy a military style rifle right away once prices come down a bit, and being a student money isn't easy to come by.

So both rifles would be close to the same caliber; the Nagant in the normal 7.62x54r and the Rem in .30-06. These would be used more for plinkin, maybe some hunting when the season comes around but also something for gathering food/protection in a SHTF situation.

With that in mind can anyone reccomend one or the other, or another decent bolt action in the same price range that has close to the same ballistics as these too. I'd also be learning big bore bolt-action shooting with this rifle, so an easy to maintain, reliable rifle is prefered.(I know bolt action and easy to maintain are redundant, but so what :p)

The Mosin-Nagant will be cheaper to buy and shoot. The Remington will probably be more accurate, won't hurt as much to shoot (thanks to an actual recoil pad rather than a steel buttplate), will have a larger and more available selection of ammo (though it will be more expensive) and has a lot more after market accessories.

If price is a BIG concern, I'd go with the Mosin-Nagant. If price isn't that big of a concern, but you'd still like to keep things relatively inexpensive, a Remington 700 SPS will work fine. They go for about $500 or so these days (I bought one in early 2008 for $480, but the price has gone up since then).

Another rifle to look into is a Savage 110. Costs a little less than the Remington and comes with an adjustable trigger, and is about as accurate.

Edit: you should be aware that if you buy the 700, you'll probably need to get a scope unless you get a 700 BDL instead of the SPS, which costs more (about $300 more, which is about what you'd end up spending on a scope anyway, unless you get a used one). Most bolt action rifles these days come without sights. The Mosin-Nagant was designed before optics were widespread, and comes with iron sights installed.

Last edited:
Buy a strong, no fancy (ie. Ruger) 6"+ revolver in .357 or .44 Magnum, couple of quality speedloaders and a good cc holster. If you honestly expect govt people will go after you:), your best bet is to blend with a crowd somewhere and a fullsize rifle would stick out a lot. OTOH a long revolver and highpower ammo will give you a carbine power up to about 100 meters, maybe more. Also you will be surprised with the accuracy, namely if shooting from a prone position with both hands rested on something.

Other advantages for SHTF situation are obvious: lower weight, ability to shoot onehandled, you can carry it concealed everywhere and all the time so once the aliens land or zombies attack :) you will not get caught unarmed, and naturally you can use the gun in cq situations since it is a handgun, and compared to pistols, this one packs a pretty good punch. The only drawback is the low capacity and not that easy reloading, but once you practice with your speedloaders, you will overcome it. Good luck giving them zombies or rampaging chimps or aliens a hard time.:)

Last edited:
One more note concering the ammo choice, if you really want to go rifle: for SHTF situation you want to be compatible with you local army/police ammo. Simply put, you logically need a gun chambered for ammo with would be available in largest amount and everywhere. If you are in USA, this means .223 Rem and .308 Win. I have my doubts about .223 Rem, so I'd go for something in .308 Win. If you are on a low budget, buy some Saiga, which is in fact an AK chambered in .308 Win.
In .223 Rem I'd go for Ruger Mini.
One last thing, CZ makes a bolt action carbine in 7.62x39 (and in .223, too IIRC).

why a rifle?

I would go w/ a Mossberg 590A1 shot gun instead of a low end rifle. In a SHTF situation 12ga shot shells are all over the place, I sort of agree w/ choosing 9mm, .223, or .308; however I'm not so sure .308 is as plentiful out there as 12ga and 9mm. 00 Buck shot or even 4 shot coming out of the pointy end of a shotgun is incredibly lethal and can be used for anything from self protection to hunting.

Personally, if SHTF and I was on the move I would go w/ my AR15 M4 equivalent and a SIG 9mm. If protecting the house I would use a short barreled 12ga.

~Sail

One more note concering the ammo choice, if you really want to go rifle: for SHTF situation you want to be compatible with you local army/police ammo. Simply put, you logically need a gun chambered for ammo with would be available in largest amount and everywhere. If you are in USA, this means .223 Rem and .308 Win.
+1. I think Mosin-Nagants are great, but my primary reservation regarding using one as a SHTF rifle is ammo availability. The supply of cheap milsurp 7.62x54R ammo could dry up as the political winds shift- not just in this country, but in the countries of origin too. While it's true that you can stockpile, you could become separated from your stockpile in a SHTF scenario.

OTOH .223Rem and .308Win will always be available; 7.62x39 and .30-06 slightly less so.

I don't believe in SHTF. Just don't and I won't buy a gun based on that. That being said, only you can make the decision. But I say get a gun that fills duel roles. A good SD gun comes to mind. Shotgun first, then a hand gun, then a pistol caliber carbine. Ya ever think about a Hi-Point? How about a good lever gun? (I think you still buy them new at WAlmart for $330). Both have great reps for reliablility and service. They are compact and ammo is everywhere. They are cheap and so is the ammo. It would be a great combo if you are indeed right and I'm wrong about the SHTF.

BTW, I've handled a Rem. 770. I wouldn't buy one on a dare. I've already expressed my disdain for the Mosin. If you're stuck on a rifle I'd find a good used gun. Savages and Stevens are very accurate and durable. Marlin 30/30's can be had for around $200 if you look and $250 about anywhere. Ton's of other good bolt guns that can be had used for a couple hundred. Any of them are better than either the Rem 770 or the Mosin.

If the gov't is out to get you, then you have had it probably. They won't come after you one at a time, they will send a hundred to get you and won't just get you they will get your family too if you don't come peacefully. I have to say I'm getting tired of these shtf threads, and don't believe it will the gov't if the shtf, that you really have to worry about.

L_Killkenny, handlerer: SHTF for me would be if the cartels spilled over into the US, being that I live in a city that is actually on the border with Mexico it can happen. I'm not so much worried about drug dealers coming to kill me as I live outside the city, but a martial law type of situation.

Bolt action probably isn't going to be your best bet for that scenario then, one way or the other. They're simply too slow; it's a long range weapon, and self defense usually occurs much much closer.

Better to go with a shotgun. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, either will work and cost a lot less than the 700 or 770 (:barf:).

Also, I had missed that you were asking about the 770 instead of the 700. IIRC, the 770 is based off the 710, which was widely regarded as very big mistake on Remington's part. Crappy rifle that wasn't that accurate. I'd take a Mosin Nagant over that any day of the week.

I've worked the gun counter and worked with the 770/710. The Remington 770/710 is to guns what the Ford Pinto is to cars.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and STAY AWAY from Remington model 710/770 series Rifles. I've seen too many go bad, as well as the design itself is JUNK.

Get a Ruger 10-22 and a couple of banana clips.Not all that effective...but realistic...'cuz:

If you think you can fight off the government... even one run by liberals...you might be a redneck. :)

Back