Mosin-Nagant -- to buy or not to buy

Hueco

There is a Mosin-Nagant at my local gunshop. It is selling for $65 or $85 (can't remember). There is virtually zero rust on the outside, and the stock is in pretty fair shape. The reciever date is 1917. (I should mention, I am only 95% sure that it is a Mosin) Should I pick that rifle up? What should I look for on it? Is it an accurate rifle?? OK, by accurate I mean sub-2MOA. Let me know! Thanks!

Hueco

I have 2 Mosin M44's and I love them . There are a lot of different variations but they are all great guns . My M44's will shoot about 3" at 100 yards off the bench , if you are not familiar with the 44 it is the short barreled carbine version . I feel that anything that goes bang is worth $65-$85 . Good luck , Mike...

I believe that this one is an M39 from what I have seen online here. (Don't I just sound like "Mr. Mosin-Nagant Expert") I think I will pick it up -- be a good fun-gun it seems. And 3MOA is good enough for me! Thanks Mike!!

Hueco

Hueco

Check out the latest American Rifleman, It has a good article on the Mosin-Nagant. I would take one at the price you are talking about.

Good Luck

Hueco , try Aim surplus for ammo , the last I bought was around $50 for 440 rounds . I hear about M39's shooting sub 2" groups all the time . Just to be safe I would treat all surplus ammo as if it was corrosive . Good luck , Mike...

Hueco,
Go to Cruffler.com and follow the links to Nagants. Look at Tuco's Nagant board; This is an encyclopedia for Russian rifle fans. Also, despite very good accuracy and robust build of these rifles, the safety is unarguably the worst ever built into a rifle. For the price, go for it.

Just to let you all know, there is a great site for Mosins. The link is below. Thanks for all the posts! I am am pretty sure that I will get her soon -- hopefully this weekend!
www.mosin-nagant.net

Hueco

I bought a Polish M44, that appeared new, about a year ago as a trunk gun. I was astonished by its accuracy. With the crappy sights, I can hit a 6 inch steel plate at 200 yards, every time. Ammo costs $2.50 to $3.50 per 20 rounds.

The kick on the carbine versions (M44 and M39) is pretty tremendous. My Garand feels like an AR in comparison (maybe not quite like an AR). While test firing our Garands, my father refused to shoot the M44 after 7 shots.

Here is a little more info on the rifle I am looking at. It is in NRA 70% condition, and it is $95 (not $65 or $85 as I said earlier). Thanks for all your help guys! Oh, Destructo6, what is a similar caliber to the 7.62x54 as far as recoil? I would think it would be very similar to the 30'06 looking at case size and bullet weight -- am I wrong?? Thanks again!

Hueco

Hueco:
Just a little trivia to help you on your way. The Nagant is becoming a popular rifle in the past several years, and in the past I have made sporterized stock for them. Neat gun, and the price is right too.

USSR
MOSIN-NAGANT Infantry Rifle
Mfg: 7.25M Tula 1892-1922
Sestroretsk 1892-1922
Izhevsk 1892-1922
503,540 Chatellerault 1893-1896
770,000 N/England W/House 1915-1917
840,310 Remington 1917-1917

By 1888 Russia had realized that the Berdan rifle was obsolete. Though experimental rifles submitted by Mauser and Kropatschek were tested, the butt magazine Mosin and the Lutkovskly, based on the Berdan were regarded as more promising.

Single and five shot Mosin rifles were submitted for trials in 1889, along some five shot Belgian Nagants. Trials actually began in 1890 with 300 Mosins, 100 Nagants and 100 single shot
Berdans, which were lined down to 7.62mm. The Mosin Nagant being
finally accepted in 1891.

M1891 Rifle:

Wt: 9.62lb
Length: 51.37"
Bbl: 31.6"
Mag:
Capacity: 5
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate:

M1891 Dragoon Rifle:

Wt: 8.75lb
Length: 48.75"
Bbl: 28.8"
Mag:
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate:

M1891/30 Rifle:

Wt: 8.7lb
Length: 48.5"
Bbl: 28.7"
Mag:
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate

M1910 Carbine:

Wt: 7.5lb
Length: 40"
Bbl: 20"
Mag:
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate:

M1938 Carbine:
Wt: 7.62lb
Length: 40"
Bbl: 20"
Mag:
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate:

M1944 Carbine:

Wy: 8.9lb
Length: 40" Folded
52.25"Extended
Bbl: 20.4"
Mag:
Grooves:
Dia:
Twist:
Rate:

AUSTRIA/HUNGARY

A/H forces on the Eastern front captured sizeable quantities of Russian rifles, and also received large numbers taken by the Germans.

Guns in A/H service were issued with Russian ammunition. When supplies began to run short, some guns were converted in the Wiener-Neustadt armory for the standard rimmed 8X50mm Austrian round.

CHINA

China made Mosin-Nagant Type 53 carbines. They; are virtually identical with the Soviet 1944g, but were marked 53 on the receiver and often bore the encircled-triangle mark of factory

GERMANY

Many Russian rifles were captured on the Easter Front during the opening stages of WWI. Some were retained by the German army to serve recruiting depots and lines of communications troops until the end of hostilities. Others went to the navy. A few were converted to handle the stnd. 8mm cartridge, but so much ammunition had been captured that most guns were simply issued
unaltered.

HUNGARY

Substantial quantities of Mosin Nagant guns were made by FEG of Budapest in the early 1950's. Production seems to have been confined to good quality copies of the 1944g carbine and 1891/30g sniper rile known as 44M and 48M.

NORTH KOREA

A poor quality copy of the Soviet 1891/30g rifle was made in the 1950's apparently as the Type 30. It was distinguished by a large encircled five point star, preceding the serial number on
the left side of the receiver.

POLAND

The earliest Polish Mosin Nagant, introduce in the late 1920's was a converted Russian rifle with a new 7.9mm caliber barrel and the magazine altered to feed rimless ammo.

USA

The US purchased more than a million 1891 rifles from Remington- UMC and the New England Westinghouse company in 1918, after the Russian revolution had left the two American companies with huge numbers of unwanted guns and potentially serious financial difficulties. Only280,050 guns were retained for army service, most being used for basic training.

In 1919 substantial numbers of 7.62 Russian pattern rifles equipped the US divisions sent to Archangelsk with allied intervention forces, apparently to ease logistics by allowing
captured ammunition to be used.

HJN

7.62x54R falls somewhere between 30-06 and 7.62 NATO. It's really the lack of weight of the carbine Nagants and the steel buttplate that contribute to the kick.

If you get a M44 with a side folding bayonet, you'll notice a change in bullet impact, depending on whether the bayonet is extended or folded.

I had a M-53( from china) that I picked up for $30.00 from a relative, I guess I got a bad one because I couldn't keep it on a 24"x24" target at 25 yards. and when I did, it was key-holeing. After that shooting experience I took it to a gunsmith and appon close inspection the last 2-3 inches of barrell had no rifling. I guess the steel cleaning rod was put to good use from the wrong end! I would have loved to have get a good one, The ones from Poland looked really nice. I guess I learned my lesson to have all used guns inspected by a compentent gunsmith before shelling out any money for a
firearm, weather it's $30.00 or $3000.00
Cajun

[This message has been edited by Northwest Cajun (edited February 08, 2000).]

The mosin shoots the 7.62x54, by comparison the 7.62 nato (.308) is 7.62x52 (or 7.62x51 depending on who you ask, I'm not sure on the official denom, but I think it's 7.62x52)
30.06 is 7.62x63. That being said, I have two mosin carbines, both are nice guns, though one is I chinese copy (Type 53)
The chinese is military, and was taken from 'nam. The other was a "pawn shop special" I got with a turned down bolt handle, fiber stock, scope, etc. They both shoot quite well and even the one without a steel buttplate will kick the heck outta ya, if you're not careful.

I went to the shop today to maybe purchase it. I looked at it again with a "buyer's-eye" and found some serious problems. It is not in good shape at all. THe asking price is way to high. Plus, I have zero use for it. Needless to say, I passed it up. Ah well. I am going to just save the money for a new Browning. :) Thanks everybody!

Hueco

incase you are jonesin for a 54R...

Subject: [MISC-L] FS-Russian M-44's-Buy3 and take 5.00 per gun

Russian M-44 Carbines
- - 7.62x54 Russian, w/side folding bayonet & cleaning rod. - Sound wood, no
cracks or splits, no laminated replacement stocks. Original finish w/all
markings.
- - These are all Russian Made between 1945-47
- - Good shooters and All show handling bruises and are in cosmoline.
- - Sorry no Tula rifles.

Grades Available:

100% Matching
LIKE NEW- these are exactly that, like new condition all matching (except
renumbered butt plate). - $119.95 each plus shipping.
85% or better bluing. - $99.95 each plus shipping.
75% or better bluing. - $89.95 each plus shipping.
65% or better bluing. - $79.95 each plus shipping.

All Matching Except For a Replacement Floor Plate or Butt Plate, No Choice,
Our Pick!
85% or better bluing. - $89.95 each plus shipping.
75% or better bluing. - $79.95 each plus shipping.
65% or better bluing. - $69.95 each plus shipping.

Mismatched Bolts and Other Parts
VERY GOOD - Good mechanical condition, mismatched bolts and other parts,
very good bores, and slight to no finish. - $39.95 each plus shipping.
VERY GOOD + - Great mechanical condition, mismatched bolts and other parts,
strong bore and good finish 80%. - $44.95 each plus shipping.
EXCELLENT - Excellent mechanical condition, mismatched bolts and other
parts, excellent bore and excellent finish 90%. - $54.95 each plus shipping.

- - Shipping charges $12 per rifle.
- - Hand pick for $10 extra.
- - Quantity discounts are available.

- - AMMO- $84.95/780 rnds. plus UPS

- - If you have any questions, call Gary Cole at 270-622-3569 or E-mail:
gcole02@nctc.com
Thank you,
Bob Lippman-Cole Distributing
Ph-518-678-3519 - Fx 518-678-0049
E-Mail -lippy@francomm.com

Back