Mosin Nagant sights

nathaniel

I got a mosin nagant from my brother and I was wondering what the measurments for the sights are. Ive heard they are in meters and in Arshins (no idea what this is). Any help would be appreciated.

I want to say that pre 91/30 is in Arshins, and post 1930 models are in meters, but you might want someone else to verify.

Russians did use meters back then, but it doesn't really matter.

I'm an American so I use Yards.

I developed a load where my M91/30 is zeroed at 100 yards while set on the 100 mark. It works on the other markings (up to 400 yards which is the max I have on my back yard range).

Meaning, when sighted in at 100, its also good for 200 yards on the 200 mark, 300 on the 300 yard mark, etc, etc.

I use reloads, I don't shoot any of that surplus stuff so I can't tell you what they will do.

Imperial Russia used the arshin (an arshin is about 28 inches)and the sights will be marked in hundreds of arshins. The Soviets, Finns and most everyone else used hundreds of meters (a meter is 39 inches). Since the yard is 36 inches, meter settings work fine. What model Mosin Nagant is it?

Oops Mike I forgot to post that its an M44.

What setup do you use Kraig? My brother gave me about 6 stripper clips with 203 grain bullets in them. He said it shoots dead on at 100 with the sights the way they are and they are at the 400 mark. I just want to know what works the best with the sights.

My brother gave me about 6 stripper clips with 203 grain bullets in them. He said it shoots dead on at 100 with the sights the way they are and they are at the 400 mark.

Some one needs to turn up the heat on that load. Even a 200 grain bullet shouldn't be dropping so far you need to use the "400" elevation mark for 100 yards. Needs more velocity....

Frankly, I don't care what the sight says, I want to be able to shoot at 100 & 200 yards to compete in the CMP Vintage Military Rifle Matches. You don't need super hot loads to reach 200 yards. The easier it is on your shoulder, the easier it is to shoot. Also shooting Small Bore targets at 50 ft with cast bullets for offhand practice.

Regarding the clips for the Mosin. they are tricky to load in the rifle, I found the best way to do it is to take your index finger, and pry up the tip of the top round, then push the rounds into the chamber. I've gotten where I can load the Mosin clips as fast as I can clips in the Springfield's or other stripper clip rifles. Just takes a bit of practice with the method I described.

charger_clip.jpg

Loading a Stripper Clip

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...z=1T4ADFA_enUS352US352&tbs=isch:1&um=1&itbs=1

The five round Mosin magazine has an "interruptor" which holds four of the cartridges down with spring pressure and allows the fifth round to ride free above the others---so it doesn't matter how the stripper is loaded, with an in spec rifle, rim-over jams don't happen.
Not that it matters anyway---none of my Mosin strippers will hold rounds in any specific pattern, like the Enfield type will.
-----krinko

The M44 sight is definitely graduated in meters. The service ammunition was about a 147 grain bullet, those should shoot closer to the sight settings.

I have an M38 that is graduated in detents. ;)

Arshins, Meters, Yards, Cubits, Rods.... I don't care. I only shoot reloads with 174 to 220 grain projectiles. It's accurate enough at 100 yards with the lowest setting, and still accurate enough at 300 yards, with the "300" setting. It's better than "Minute of Elk-Kill-Zone" accurate... Works for me. (And a far cry from having to compensate for massive drop, as I addressed in my previous post.)

I think that important thing is that is shoots to the point of aim, regardless of what you have to set it at. My m44 is literally dead on at 100 yards with the sights set at 200 and i don't have a problem with that.

Back