Mosin Nagant scope options

modrummer

So I definitely want to scope my Mosin, but i'd like to do it with as little modification as possible. I hear I can get a LER mount and then I wont have to get a bent bolt handle; if this is true, what is the best LER mount? Are there any downsides to an LER?

The disadvantage of any LER setup is field of view through the scope. You can't use the scope to scan the forest edge 200 yard away to look for a deer, you need to bring a regular set of binoculars for that. On the other hand, some people like the fact they don't have to stare through the glass but have the wide open view like from an iron sight.

I recently purchased a beautiful mosin from a local store that had been modified. The rear leaf sight had been removed and replaced with a rail. After getting the rail put on correctly, I tentatively put a NCStar Scout Scope on it. Any scope you get will have to have long eye relief or you wont be able to see a thing.

This way if I ever wanted to I can go back and purchase a real leaf sight and be back to stock mosin.

Your best bet is a I.E.R. scope. [Intermediate Eye Relief]

I just put one on for a buddy and we found that a true pistol scope didn't mount far forward enough. I put a Burris 10x I.E.R. on it for him to use, works great.

Sorry I don't know the mount maker since he'd bought it used and someone had broken off a mounting screw in the base. I drilled it straight through with a bit the same size as the leaf mounting pin. Worked like a charm.

Do a YouTube search for 'jmeck scope mount'. Thats all you need to know about minimal modification scope mounts.

Back