Mosin Nagant: Pro Mag Archangel conversion

CDR_Glock

As much as I wanted to like my Mosin Nagant, I had to modernize it.

b4155924f825d0f942601667208981e3.jpg

Much of the work was just removing the internals of the Mosin, and removing the pins from the leaf sights. Everything else was pretty much a drop in evolution.

Pro Mag Archangel body, Texas Precision Muzzle Break, Timney trigger, Brass Stacker Rail, and a long eye relief UTG scope with lighted reticle.

The muzzle break takes the bite out of the recoil.

The Timney trigger makes a world of difference in feel of the trigger.

The Brass Stacker doesn't require a rifle to be drilled and tapped, nor does it require a bent bolt.

I needed about 9-10" of eye relief given the forward position of the scope.

Finally completed. I have a bipod coming in tomorrow.

59fb58540ad8e9566072379d3b23e918.jpg

4eb51382c2acc9db8c08afb1e84cbf10.jpg

86cd92778762ab2eac1d56bd86d8dd25.jpg

9e35497d618bde6a4106d899f758e505.jpg

31ad183d690c6c0629ce11c655623e42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

Without the scope and including shipping, all that junk probably cost $400-500.

That's enough to get you into a modern rifle.

I like the black color in that stock. Hope it shoots for you.
Coincidentally, sent this back to the owner yesterday.

Why?

Without the scope and including shipping, all that junk probably cost $400-500.

That's enough to get you into a modern rifle.
Find a modern rifle that will shoot a 7.62x54R without serious modification. Sometimes we just feel the need to indulge ourselves in a project that we really enjoy. I had a Mosin that sat in my gun safe for years because I knew I wasn't going to use it the way it was. I suppose I could have sold it, but why? I didn't need a new rifle. I spent some time ( very little money) and modified it to fit me. I did most of the work myself and enjoyed every second of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Find a modern rifle that will shoot a 7.62x54R without serious modification. Sometimes we just feel the need to indulge ourselves in a project that we really enjoy. I had a Mosin that sat in my gun safe for years because I knew I wasn't going to use it the way it was. I suppose I could have sold it, but why? I didn't need a new rifle. I spent some time ( very little money) and modified it to fit me. I did most of the work myself and enjoyed every second of it.

A buddy told me about it. I've never done anything like this. It took a couple weeks to wait on various pieces. In the end it was fun. Whether it shoots well, I don't know, yet. I will know tomorrow.

It was definitely something out of my comfort zone to do something like this. I could have gotten a Rem 700 and modified it, too, but I already had this Mosin Nagant. I figured I'd make a project out of it.

It looks great and the parts fit me well. It doesn't hurt to put an optic on it and a decent bipod on it.

4d8d5063cf8c7f7c9ecb957ee60152fe.jpg

If it works, great. Otherwise, I could trade it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7.62x54r has dried up.

Unless you are already hip-deep in surplus, it's not a compelling cartridge.

.308 is cheaper.

I would recommend getting a more serious scope than the UTG. It's not likely to stand up to the recoil impulse of the 54R and probably won't take any real knocking around. I tried the cheap scout scope route and I was completely unsatisfied with it.

Ditto on the clamp-on muzzle brake. Never tried it myself but lots of reports of them flying off the end of the barrel, and knowing how muzzle pressure works, I don't doubt it at all. I'd suggest seeing what it would cost to have the muzzle threaded for a real brake put on.

I stay ambivalent on the modernization of Mosin Nagants. I have mine hanging above me right now in a Boyd's stock with a Mojo sight and a couple other small modifications. I bought it as my first rifle to try some gunsmithing experiments on. Mostly I tend to slowly move back to the original setup. But I never tried the Archangel setup, I hear they're nice. What works for you may evolve over time. Nothing wrong with that.

7.62x54r has dried up.

Unless you are already hip-deep in surplus, it's not a compelling cartridge.

.308 is cheaper.

Yep. I mean, it's whatever you want OP. If it produces the flotations of your boatings, yes.

It's putting an old rifle back into use. Nothing wrong with that. The OP enjoyed working on his rifle and wanted to show what he has done. No reason to give the guy a hard time. You guys are a tough crowd.

Well, I took it out. I get about 2-2.5" at 100 yards so far. It was just Wolf Ammo. I have more ammo coming in, so I will see how it does again, at 100, and further.

I have actually enjoyed shooting it, now. The recoil is pleasant. It's a long and heavy gun being impractical for hunting because of the length and weight.

Ammunition isn't expensive.

So for me, I have been very pleased so far. I already have other more accurate bolt action rifles for hunting: Sako Tikka 308 and a Kimber 7mm-08. The ammo for those are significantly more expensive.

Don't worry about me and my money, though. I'm managing quite well. I also donate to children's and veteran organizations to help my fellow neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.62x54r has dried up. Unless you are already hip-deep in surplus, it's not a compelling cartridge.
.308 is cheaper.

Not a Mosin fan myself, nor of attempts to "babe up" what's already an ugly tomato-stake masquerading as a long gun, ....

... BUT the above comment is easily refuted. :)

The ability to source components and RELOAD for a cartridge that's allegedly [pick one:] "expensive," "scarce," "hard to find at Wally Mart," "obsolete," "dead," etc., renders this complaint a non-issue.

After all, folks have been making the same claim about the .41 Magnum and the 10mm AUTO for decades. :rolleyes:

Maybe people just enjoy doing things and modifying guns. Sometimes the satisfaction of doing better gets in the way of the satisfaction of simply doing.

Back