mosin nagant oil can?

rude robert

I have a question, what do you guys use yours for? I cleaned mine out really good so now, I want to know what to use it for. What was in it, cleaner and oil?

I assume you've got one of the 2-sided cans that come in the CIA "kits". One side held an alkaline solvent for neutralizing corrosive primer residue; the other side held oil.

I use mine as conversation pieces. :)

I was thinking about putting those same things back into them. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Where can I find that solvent that neutralizes the corrosive primers at. I do shoot the cheap mil spec ammo. I am in the commi state of california so i am not sure if i can buy the solvent here lol. I might have to go to the black market for it

I have no idea what the Soviets originally used, and I'm not sure anyone in the Western Hemisphere really does either. :confused: However, whatever it was, it was probably pretty nasty. :eek:

Many shooters use plain ol' warm soapy water or Windex to neutralize the primer salts, then clean normally. Others swear by Hoppe's #9, Ed's Red, or old-school US GI bore cleaner. More info here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

I was thinking about putting those same things back into them. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Where can I find that solvent that neutralizes the corrosive primers at. I do shoot the cheap mil spec ammo. I am in the commi state of california so i am not sure if i can buy the solvent here lol. I might have to go to the black market for it

Good old Hoppe's #9 is probably the closest. It will help after a day at the range, but a good cleaning with warm, soapy water is still the best way. The salts left by the corrosive primers will be dissolved with water. The Hoppe's probably removes some, and covers the rest with a film of oil preventing corrosion as long as it is covered with the solvent.

I got a bunch of the double Mosin cans, and several of the singles, in trade a while back. I cleaned them out THOROUGHLY with 409, then Easy-Off several times and then boiled them for 20 minutes...I figure this would eliminate all traces of anything that HAD been in them. One set is now, with some modifications, a salt and pepper shaker. :) One of the singles holds about two cups worth of instant coffee or powdered drink or sugar...all kinds of uses.

If you do re-purpose them, remember to remove and replace the waxed cardboard seals in the caps.

I have Hoppe's #9 in one side and oil in the other side. Hoppe's was developed in 1903 and will neutralize the corrosive primer residue. Windex or soapy water will work also and I ask "do you really want to put those fluids in a 60-70+ year old barrel"? Back in the day thats all there was is Hoppe's #9 and if you read the label it states it will neutralize corrosive primer residue. This site is a wealth of knowledge as to Mosin-Nagants and is
www.7.62x54r.net

I saw a picture of weapons captured by Mexican law enforcement a year or so ago that had probably 50 of the oilers on the table, they claimed they were grenades. If that's true, note to self: Buy a whole bunch of Mosins complete with accessory kits. Who knew they were explosive?

Back