Mosin Nagant m91/30

Personally.. I would rather own a Finnish M39 or Remington or Westinghouse built m91 than any Russian 91/30.. And I own an excellent Tula built 91/30. I also own a Remington built m91...

There is no best year for a M91/30. The main difference is the hex reciever on the pre 1936 rifles. If you want significant differences, you need to go with a Finnish mosin. The Finns are consistently more accurate and in the case of the M39 mentioned, you will have better sights and stock. I have about 30 mosins and my Finns are my most prized firearms.

The sniper versions (recognized by a curved bolt handle) were hand selected for accuracy. About years, I'd just look for one made outside the war ('41-'45).

None. If you feel the need to get a shoulder bruising bolt action, at least look at a Mauser. My Mosin just sat in the safe after a couple range trips.

With Mosins its not really a matter of year, but bore condition. You want rifling that extends to the end of the barrel, even if it is worn. My 1929 91/30 has worn rifling at the crown but it can get a 2 in group at 100 on a warm barrel, on a hot, from 2.5 to 3 inches, and this is with crappy Romanian light ball.

Counterboring is a process where worn rifling is drilled out, so your barrel has a few inches of no rifling which will affect accuracy. In wartime 91/30s you will find a boatload of CBed ones. I would say use JG sales and pay the extra 30 bucks to get a handpick for best bore, that will give you a good base of 91/30 to work with, from there you can leave it as it is or free float the barrel and pillar and/or bed the stock and you can end up with an excellent shooting military rifle in almost original military configuration.

Back