Mosin Nagant M91/30 bayonet issues

Kimio

I purchased one of these rifles and as with most Mosin Nagant's it came with a bayonet. The one I received does not fold, and my issue with it is that it is extremely tight to fit. In fact, I can get it on about half way and it will get stuck, the only way I can get it off is to gently tap it off with a flat head screwdriver and hammer. I've already gone through the process of cleaning the cosmoline off both the barrel and the bayonet itself.

Might there be other solutions to make it so the bayonet fits better? I know that my rifles accuracy will suffer if I cannot attach it since it effects barrel harmonics.

The only other solution I can see is going back to the store I purchased it from and request a different bayonet.

I know that my rifles accuracy will suffer if I cannot attach it since it effects barrel harmonics.

You probably heard the M44s were sighted in with the bayonet extended, and that they may not hit point of aim with it folded.

For accuracy, you really don't want a chuck of metal hanging off the end of your barrel. There are a number of articles floating around the web with instructions on ways to make a 91/30 shoot better, I have yet to see one that included "Install Bayonet"

Have you shot it yet? If not, go shoot it. If it shoots well, throw the bayonet on your workbench and don't worry about it.

I'm taking it out for the first time tomorrow, I'll definitely see how it shoots. Hopefully you are right, and I will not have to worry about the bayonet.

My bayonet was also extremely tight...used a small grinder on the end of a dremel tool and smoothed out the inside of the bayonet. Now it slips on easy and still is snug.

Russian infantry always had the bayonet mounted. In many cases, there were no scabbards. It was intended to stay on the rifle at all times. That's why they are such a tight fit.

Your rifle's accuracy will not be reduced without the bayonet attached. It might not shoot exactly to point of aim without the bayonet, but it will be as accurate as it is, bayonet or not.

I believe only the m44's were sighted with the bayo
M91/30s were also sighted in with the bayonet.

Re: the tight fit, there's some tolerance in both the rifles and bayonets, and the bayonets are supposed to be fitted to individual rifles; this is why the bayonets are numbered. However, the story I've always heard is that the Russian arms depots made no attempt to keep the matched rifles and bayonets together during shipment to the States, which is why the numbers never match.

IMHO the easiest solution to this problem is to bring your rifle and bayonet to a dealer that handles lots of M91/30s, explain the problem, and offer to swap bayonets for one that fits. Many dealers are already aware of this problem due to customer complaints about too-tight or too-loose bayonets, and I've run into one dealer that had a clerk mix-and-match them for correct fit before putting the rifles on display. :)

I just read an article in the FEB 2011 Shooting Times issue regarding the Mosin-Nagant 91/30. Page 26.

It mentions that the rifle only shot POA/POI accurately with the bayonet installed.
Otherwise, it was a foot HIGH and 1/2 a foot LEFT...:eek:...with military ammo.
No matter what ammo was used, it was better with the bayonet ON.

Now, I need to buy a bayonet. ;)

Back