Mosin Nagant M44

hey all, i'm considering buying an M44. i've already got a 91/30. i loke that gun alot. but now on to the M44. i waondering what is a good price for one? i've looked on gun broker and found a range of 100 to almost 300. but the 91/30 i got i picked up for 80 bucks. is the M44 typically a more expensive rifle? i don't know much about the M44, but i've read alot where theu shoot straighter with the bayonet out, is this really true?

If I remember right they used to be close priced to the 91/30 (I specifically remember the shop had one for $110 when I bought my 91/30 in '07), but the supply dried up for a while. The "new" ones now being sold are from a more recent batch that was found and imported and may be among the last imports that we will get. I read that in a couple places, not sure how true it is. But the prices are higher now. I have seen them in various shapes, but a "field"/"shooter" grade that fires but is questionable cosmetically might go around $100-160 depending on how bad. Normal rifles probably in the $170-220 range. Excellent and/or rare examples on up from there. From this point, they are probably not going to drop in price.

I do not have one myself, but I have seen a few examples and they did in fact shoot to point of aim better with the bayonet out, as least as much as we could tell with the milsurp ammo. They shot similar groups both ways, but with the bayonet folded the zero was different. You could probably adjust this yourself, but it will only be on target one way or the other.

Edit:
IMO, $130 would be a good price unless it is beat up, has a bad condition bore, or mechanical/headspace issues.

I paid $75 about 6 months ago for one.

The stock was pretty chipped and the gun didn;t have much blue left.

Bore and bolt were in good condition and it shoots as well as Iron sights can with my eyes.

I had a M38 I ditched for a .22 pistol and regretted it pretty soon after. I actually prefer the lighter M38 personally but they take a premium over the other mosins.

gun's in good shape. no visiable damage to the stock. all the blue is still in good shape. its not a lamianated stock though, which the original stock on my 91/30 was, but oh well. guns don't keep wood furniture for very long in my house anyway. seems to be a very solid gun.

guns don't keep wood furniture for very long in my house anyway.
Just don't remove the permanently attached bayonet. Accuracy will suffer.

The 44's aren't as common as they were a few years ago so the prices have gone up quite a bit. Used to be in the distributors adds for $75 or so.

I picked up a Romo M44 5-6 years ago. Yes they are more accurate with the bayonette out. My stock was hacked so I replaced with aftermarket one. Mounted a scout mount & scope. AND removed the bayonette but not the barrel mount. Added a muzzle brake. The rifle IS very accurate at 100 yds. 2" & under. I never fired it with the irons with the bayo removed so I cant say how that goes.

I believe AIM has them still...they were running a special with a 91/30 and an M44 together, heck of a deal. Tried to check but their site is down now. SOG has them for $179 (if you have your FFL).

Just don't remove the permanently attached bayonet. Accuracy will suffer.

The 44's aren't as common as they were a few years ago so the prices have gone up quite a bit. Used to be in the distributors adds for $75 or so.

Accuracy is not effected it just changes the point of aim.

If you dont have the capability to move the front sight then leave it alone.

I sold my M44 about 18 months ago for 150 on gb. It was a refurbed by a Urkrainian arsenal. Shot great
Just don't remove the permanently attached bayonet.
As long as you don't grind down/saw off the mount, you can always put it back on. I took mine off for the several years that I had it. I put it back on when I sold it.

i plan on leaving the bayonet on. even when i completely re-did my 91/30 with a synthetic stock, and a scout scope, i left the front sight post on, just for the bayonet. i don't shoot it with it on, just kinda neat to remember how the rifle started life.

Mosin's are love pure and simple

I own a 44 and a 91-30. The 44 is precious to me. It is an excellent deer gun and fun to shoot. All Mosins with bayonets (to my knowledge) where designed to be shot with it on. I love my Mosin so much I started collecting other WWII Russian weapons.

i would use my mosins to deer hunt with, but unfortunally thats illegal in the great state of illinois. all i can shoot with a mosin are targets and a coyotes.

prices are climbing on all milsurps. they will never be cheaper than they are now. the m44 is a blast to shoot, get one. paid $150 for mine out the door at a local pawnshop, all matching numbers and looks unissued.

prices are climbing on all milsurps. they will never be cheaper than they are now. the m44 is a blast to shoot, get one. paid $150 for mine out the door at a local pawnshop, all matching numbers and looks unissued.

-almost the same- paid $175 for mine at a local gunshop; which I thought was a little high- but, I had looked and loked and at the latest 'big; gun show in town there were exactly two for sale, one was $95 and one was $125, and both were beat to death and had more import and arsenal engravings on them than a train tunnel has graffiti!
Mine looks unissued, not- counterbored, etc.

Grab one while you can -a good one- at any price. Once their gone, their gone.

My M44 is easily one of my favorite rifles. It is quite possibly the best $89 I've ever spent.

Prices have definitely risen; they were $70 just a few years ago. This year, AIM Surplus has been selling them for $250 a piece they have apparently sold out. Just seems to happen when the supply runs dry. Folks modifying them (although the M44's don't seem to messed with as often as 91/30's) will possibly cause the ones in original configuration to increase in further in price.

Wow I got my m44 in '97 for $75 and bought the 91-30 in 2010 for $129. Tho the price has dropped on 91-30's to aroung $90 here. Streetrod the land of lincoln is harsh. You can only hunt deer with a shotgun there right? Fervently hopes Ky will never go nuts with FOIC BS.
Definition of Mosinitus: the love of all things Mosin Nagant.
I have a severre case of it to the point I bought a Nagant revolver.

as far as deer hunting in IL we can use a shotgun, handguns (as long as they are 30 cal. or bigger and capable of a specific amount of energy at the muzzle), and muzzleloading rifles. we are by far the most strict state when it comes to gun laws.

Back