Mosin Nagant M44 value?

hoytinak

Got a co-worker that has a Russian M44 that looks like it's in really good condition save a couple scratches/marks on the stock. You can tell it's been used but not much, the rifling/bore looks good......what's it worth?

The reason I ask is he doesn't shoot it and I've got 8 boxes of Hornady LeveRevolution .30-30 ammo that I don't need as I don't have a .30-30 anymore and he asked if I'd trade the ammo for his M44. I thought about putting the ammo for sale on a local forum but I think a M44 would be fun to play with as I've never shot a Mosin Nagant of any kind.

I would gladly trade my m44 for 8 boxes of ammo and a 30-30 rifle. M44's are getting harder to find, but I don't feel they are worth $200. I paid 75 for mine about 4 years ago. I know they have gone up a bit, but even in excellent shape I don't think they are worth more than $150.

I'd certainly make that trade if I were you. $200 isn't unreasonable for an M44, depending on region and condition. AIM Surplus got a bunch of them in just a few months ago, priced them at $250 each, they have sold out long since.

For the love of the Mosin-Nagant ...

Below are photos of two friends of mine shooting MY Mosin-Nagant M44. I paid $150 for it a few months ago at a gun show. Where do you find excitement like THAT for $150? The ammo is very inexpensive as well. Spam cans of Soviet surplus 7.62x54R with 440 rounds for about $80. Sorry, but I cannot resist an opportunity to share these awesome photos of the classic M44 muzzle flash.

I recently paid $175 for a Mosin M91/59 with a barrel that appears flawless.

The bore is a bit rough on this M44 of mine, so I suggest being very cautious and examining the barrel with great care. All my other Mosin's have great looking bores. The WWII era 91/30's that are being sold typically for $99 (one store here in Kentucky has them on sale for $79.99) tend to have nice barrels. This one is a bit rough, but the rifling is okay, and it shoots fine.

As for the exchange, it depends upon its worth to YOU. You have 8 boxes of ammo that YOU CANNOT USE. What is THAT worth? You MIGHT find a 1944 Mosin for less than $200, and you might NOT. They're far more difficult to find than 91/30's. The carbines are all more difficult to find. $150-200 is typical. A really nice one for $200 seems not out of the question. I mean, just LOOK what people pay for rifles these days. The Mosin-Nagant is something more than a rifle. It is history. I love my Mosin-Nagants.

Does your friend have any ammo to throw in with this to sweeten the deal a bit? If he has some 7.62x54R to toss in with that M44 (say, 200 rounds?), then GRAB it. But examine the barrel for pitting from the corrosive primers of the milsurp ammo. Even at an even swap, I don't think you'll ever regret trading ammo you do not need for one of the finest rifles ever made.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

420943_1959961615630_1740503818_1007914_958804891_n.jpg

417185_1993509494306_1740503818_1021273_819028124_n.jpg

427167_1960532669906_1740503818_1008021_242611477_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I made the swap tonight....plus he had 3 1/2 boxes of ammo with it as well!! I'll post a couple quick pics tomorrow....after I'm done fondling it. :D Looking forward to shooting this thing as I've never fired a 7.62x54r before.

Next question....where's the best place to order a couple cans of ammo for this thing?

Howtinac

Congratulations you did excelent on that trade. For your ammo there are many sources but if you want a bulk can Ammunition to go has them. Good luck and enjoy. Ammunitiontogo.com

Congratulations you did excelent on that trade. For your ammo there are many sources but if you want a bulk can Ammunition to go has them. Good luck and enjoy.WWW.Ammunitiontogo.com Sorry I double Posted and had to edit.:D

Last edited:
So I've lost my camera but yall seen M44s before....anyways, thanks for the ammo links.

Next question.....the sights. I don't want to scope it but would like a decent set of sights for it. Does anyone make a peep style sight for it? What would be yalls recommendations for a good set of sights?

j&gsales.com also has ammo for sale and they are probably a bit closer to you. They are located in Prescott AZ. Google them and you can order online.

You did the right thing here. I have a full size 91/30 and it's just, honestly, the funnest thing in the world to let rip. Bolt guns are fun, and when they come in a cartridge as stout as a 54r, you can't go wrong. It's a no BS gun that runs like a champ and will take any breathing creature on this planet. Mind your bore when shooting the corrosive stuff. I clean mine every time it's fired. I figure, it was built in 1942, so I better keep it up to snuff.

The only accessory missing in this trade is the joy of cleaning up the cosmoline! Wowee!!

I was thinking about a 90/31. I found one locally for under $100. Assuming everything's in working order and the bore is clean, about how accurate are they and about how far out? Are they useful for anything other than having a good time?

Back