Mosin Nagant M1944 Carbine

Ozzieman

Went to pick up some parts for another AR I am building and the gun store had a Mosin Nagant M1944 Carbine. This is the one thats like the M1938 with the addition of a side folding spike bayonet.
The gun appeared to be in good overall condition but the barrel was darkened and some pitting was evident down the bore. The chamber itself looked dull but without pitting.
I have wanted a nice Nagant for my collection but wondered what others think a good price for this gun would be.
They wanted $295. I know that very high for a normal Nagant, and high for an M38 carbine but around here I have never seen a M44 and can’t find any for sale.
Just wondered what a fair price for one with good wood but slightly pitted barrel.
Thanks all

that's about going price for them, I would try to talk him down a little because of the bore condition but M44s are getting semi collectable now since they were not made in nearly the same numbers as the chinese 53s or the 91/30s

I picked up a few of the M44's when they first hit the market. Was about the time when the 38's started to disappear. I got them from J&G for $79+$10 for select plus shipping. All three looked as though they were rearsenaled and heavily packed in cosmoline. It seems as though the well has dried up on them because most of the C&R places no longer advertise them.

The M44's seem to command a higher price now. The Chinese one's I've seen look like crap. The stocks are beat to death. I'd like to have one, even if it's will be heavier than my M91/30. The folding bayonet looks cool.

Mike

Southern Ohio Gun web site is terrible.
The loink take you to nowhere. The home page shows a Mosin, but has no link to view it. I searched for "Mosin Nagant" and it couldn't fins anything.

The cheaper Chinese one's are always beat up.

Southern Ohio Gun web site is terrible.
The loink take you to nowhere. The home page shows a Mosin, but has no link to view it. I searched for "Mosin Nagant" and it couldn't fins anything.

Re-read my post.

^ every time I click a link to SOG it takes me to a page that tells me that I need to be logged in as an FFL/C&R to view firearms. I am beginning to think that these amazing prices they have for guns are just an inside joke that I am not a part of.

Two of the three local gun stores around here have the M-44 carbines. Prices are from $220 to $255. They have a hard time selling them here because they have crates of 91/30 sitting next to them for $129. Most people that are buying like that are going to go with the cheaper one. I have another gun I am paying off tomorrow. So I will wait. If one is still on the shelf when I have funds I will buy it, and it would be just handy dandy for shooting cast lead plinking rounds out of.

Trust me, SOG is for real.
Bought several rifles them, most recently a mint condition M24/47 for $220.00
Email your 03 FFL, they will set up your dealer account.

uh... most people that buy guns don't have their own FFL, C&R or no... unless a guy is planning on buying several of these guns the cost of the FFL is just not worth it.

I remember running out to AIM surplus here in Ohio around 2000 and picking up 5 of them for $69.99 a piece. Love those little carbines.

I remember picking them up from a guy I worked with at the Ohio gun shows for $70 even came with all of the accessories and if you bought the M44 he would toss in a 440 rd tin of x54 for $39 even. oh so long 2005:(

I was not aware the prices on these had risen so dramatically.

If there is a Big 5 anywhere near you, check there. Like many others here, I bought mine several years ago, and paid 89 dollars for it at Big 5 in Lubbock. Mine is (I think) Romanian? Dated 1954, and looked like it had never been fired.

I wouldn't pay that much for one... especially with a dark bore. You can just about buy a brand new Savage bolt action for that price, and be able to scope it with no problems whatsoever.

The biggest attraction of these rifles has been the surprisingly low prices..
Take that away, and the attraction is almost gone, as well. If you want one for a collection, and are willing to pay higher prices, then you should be doubly sure to not get one with a dark bore.

my C&R paid for itself the very first time I used it.... and I saved $5. the local shop charges $35 to receive longarms and my 03 ffl cost me $30 which means I made my money back plus saved 5 buck the very first time i used it!

my C&R paid for itself the very first time I used it...
Mine saved me so much money I about near went broke. :D

Love the MN44 with its folding "Die Nazi Schweins sticker". Literally, a blast to shoot.

Back