Mosin Nagant - Just Purchased

Mike-Mat

First let me say I'm in no way affiliated with JG Sales. But if you're looking for a nice Mosin and you want to buy it from good people, go to http:www.jgsales.com

A basic rifle is $90, but you can option up to one that been hand selected for an additional $10 -$30. For $30 you can look thru several that have had the barrel cleaned and pre screened for quality.

I got a Tula Armory, 1939 with the bayonet, sling, tool and cleaning kit for $120. Add 2 spam cans of ammo and It put me at $310 with tax. She ain't pretty, but feels sound and locks up tight. I cant wait to shoot this thing.

But here's the best trick I got for buying this type of rifle:
It was covered in cosmoline. The salesman suggested wrapping it in paper towels (I used news paper) and putting it out in the hot sun (I live in AZ). That was BRILLIANT! Melted the grease right out of it. I was able to easily wipe off the excess and it cleaned up nice.

With the bayonet on, it's about 5ft tall. I can just imagine how imposing it must have been to see 5000 Russians coming over the hill with these things.

Mike

Ask any Nazi who tried to invade Russia. Also watch Enemy At The Gates to see what a Mosin in the hands of a sniper can do.

Congratulations. Mosins are great shooters for the most part. Lots of fun for the price. Some times they can be a bit addictive. If your Tula has a round receiver you may want a hex receiver in the future. Then there is the laminates stock models. Other variants have dried up for now, but a few years ago there were plenty of 91/30's, the shorter 38's, the 44's with the built in bayo, and some 91/59's which were 91.30's modified in Russian arsenals by shortening the barrels to M38 length. There are a few original sniper 91/30's around, and lately a lot of 'built' snipers. Also an occasional X-sniper shows up. they were taken out of sniper service by removing the scope mount, and filling the holes.
Also there were other arsenals producing M/N rifles including Ishevsk, and Sestroretsk. The Ishy's are still in abundance, along with the Tula's. Some say jokingly that the Tula is the most popular because it's the only one that an American can pronounce!
Then there is the "cream of the crop" with the Finnish M39 Mosin Nagants.
Make sure you clean your rifle well soon after shooting the surplus ammo because it is corrosive, and will cause rust very quickly. Hot soapy water like cleaning a black powder rifle is one good way. Water and ammonia is another. I generally use Hoppe's #9 followed by a good gun oil, and then another cleaning the next day. I haven't had a rust problem with any of my milsurp firearms using surplus ammo with this method.

As for surplus ammo, I go with copper wash and stay away from lacquered variety. When the chamber is hot, the lacquered ammo causes the sticky bolt problem in my 91/30. It may not in yours, so try both and see what works in yours before buying a lot of either type.

As always, reload for best results. Or spend a little more on PPU ammo. Brass cased, reloadable, non-corrosive.

Last edited:
The last one I bought was a 1929 Hex reciever from JG Sales. All the numbers matched and it was in great condition. I got mine for $69 but that was a couple years ago. I have been shooting Bulgarian Heavy ball that comes in 300rd. tins. Its brass cased but still corrosive. I try not to shoot anything but brass. The copper washed stuff is fine too. Enjoy your mosin. They definatly grow on ya, I have three and want at least a couple more.

Kentucky Gun Company

For anybody in the market for a Mosin-Nagant M91/30, check out Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, KY. I am in no way affiliated, but I occasionally like to drive an hour from here to Bardstown to visit two of my favorite places: Kentucky Gun Co. & Heaven Hill Distilleries. :D

A friend of mine in California ordered three Mosins from them, and he was quite pleased. I have personally purchased quite a few from them, and other firearms as well. Great people to do business with. Here's a link:

Kentucky Gun Company Mosin-Nagant M91/30 on sale $79.99

I understand they recently ordered several THOUSAND of these. Better hurry, kids. They only made 37 million of 'em.

Also watch Enemy At The Gates to see what a Mosin in the hands of a sniper can do.

Well soviet made Mosin in any hands can do about 2 MOA at best, even with a good ammo. But man, watch Star Wars to see what a lightsaber can do in the hands of a jedi!!

For anybody in the market for a Mosin-Nagant M91/30, check out Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, KY. I am in no way affiliated, but I occasionally like to drive an hour from here to Bardstown to visit two of my favorite places: Kentucky Gun Co. & Heaven Hill Distilleries.

A friend of mine in California ordered three Mosins from them, and he was quite pleased. I have personally purchased quite a few from them, and other firearms as well. Great people to do business with. Here's a link:

+1
I bought an ATI 91/30 from KYGCO and it is probably the prettiest 91/30 I've ever seen. I bought a century 91/30 from a local store 2 weeks later. the century is atrocious in comparison.

Mine is a Century Arms (CAI) Mosin. I've only seen one other Mosin up close. I dont think mine looks to bad considering it's 73 years old and most likely served in WWII. But if I get another one I might try Kentucky Gun Co. Prices are good. The difference will cover my FFL transfer fee.

I didn't even know ATI was importing them, most I've seen are Century...

As you found out, the best way to buy-sight unseeen- is when they are arsenal refurbs. The two I bought recently from another retailer (Buds) were both pristine- all matching numbers (not force matched) with beautiful bores. Turned one of them into a long range sporter...

I recently got one about a month ago! It was pretty accurate, and now it's in with my smithy in Shreveport and he's putting a firefield reproduction PU scope on it. I had a guy by the name of blazen999 on eBay bend my bolt. I plan on hunting with it this upcoming deer season. :cool:

Mosin Scope

I also just purchased a Mosin Nagant a few days ago. I have a scope mount already mounted to the gun. It has all aftermarket parts including bolt, mount, and stock. It is very difficult to aim with the scope mount on the gun with no scope. I know nothing about rifle scopes. Can anyone give me some suggestions for moderately priced scopes that would do well for my Mosin?

I've had a Mosin-Nagant for over a year now and I love it. It's a 1944 model, not sure about where it was produced, but I'm pretty much sure it's not one of the nice models everyone is after. It shoots well though, and I refinished the stock and now I must say that it is quite the looker! Really can't beat this gun for the price.

I also just purchased a Mosin Nagant a few days ago. I have a scope mount already mounted to the gun. It has all aftermarket parts including bolt, mount, and stock. It is very difficult to aim with the scope mount on the gun with no scope. I know nothing about rifle scopes. Can anyone give me some suggestions for moderately priced scopes that would do well for my Mosin?

http://tinyurl.com/87gsyxq

Mine is a Century Arms (CAI) Mosin. I've only seen one other Mosin up close. I dont think mine looks to bad considering it's 73 years old and most likely served in WWII. But if I get another one I might try Kentucky Gun Co. Prices are good. The difference will cover my FFL transfer fee.

I will agree with you there. both of mine are 1942 izhevsk 91/30s and though the ati is nicer they are both in pretty good shape for being stuck in storage since the korean war. cosmoline is an amazing invention.

1943 Izchevsk

I bought a 1943 91/30 Izchevsk with laminate stock on sale at Big 5 last year for $99. It shot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with open sights and Winchester 180 gr SP loads so I bent the bolt and put a scope on it. I can get 2 3/8" groups at 200 yards with handloads using Varget and Hornady .312 150 gr. SP. These guns are rough on the outside, but the Russians put quality on the inside. I am hoping to get an elk with it this fall

If you intend to handload for it, slug the barrel and choose bullets accordingly. The trigger can be safely smoothed by judicious sanding the trigger spring and trigger contact points without messing with the sear. Mine has a 9 pound pull but it is smooth now. There are ways to reduce trigger weight but none that I feel good about. If I decide to sporterize I will probably get the Timney trigger which is around $100.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back