Mosin Nagant Hex or Round receiver?

solman

Inactive
I was looking at grabbing one of these while they are cheap and plentiful. I shot one my buddy bought last week and thought, hey this is a good shooter. The ammo can be a little hard to find here locally in the peoples republic of New Jersey.
I was just wondering if one type is preferred and why. My friends is the round receiver but I can find both types. the price is a little higher on the hex action I guess this is the preferred one, or more rare. Any info on this would be appreciated. I see you can even get a modification kit for the bolt and a scope mount.
Solman

Try and get a pre war manufacture if you can. They are generally regarded to be of better fit and finish due to there being no war time manufacturing pressures that would result in them cutting corners during the manufacturing process.

Hexagonal receivers were ceased when WW2 began so aside from the year of manufacture on the receiver a hexagonal receiver will also indicate a pre war manufacture Hex receivers as a general rule will be better overall finish.

cutting corners

beleve me i know about cutting corners. i picked mine up at a gun show and dident realy notice untill i got home but the rere sites were on crucked not by much but enough to throw you off on evry shot. it was a round recever so i gues that your right about the war time thing.

its ok i sportnized it and now its a tack driver:D

Hex if you can get one. These were built with better quality and more time put into them where the round receivers were rushed to fill the needs, so it took less time to make tgem round.

I don't agree with any of the above.
Hex or round, is no indication of quality. Hex receivers are slightly less common, hence the minimal (ten or twenty bucks) price difference.

If you're looking for a shooter, best bet can be a re-arsenaled rifle. These are often like new.

Far as ammo, there is no shortage at all..just buy it online.

The MN is difficult to scope traditionally. Try here for a more MN-specific forum:
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/

I have both and they are all good shooters. The hex is a 1929 91/30 and is a accurate and fun rifle to shoot. We used it last weekend to blast pumpkins from about 50yrds. Its alot of fun to watch them literally explode when shot. The other 2 I have are M-44 Hungarian and a 91/59 both round recievers and both good guns. I dont guess it really matters. It doesnt to me anyway.

Hex recievers are generally harder to find and therefore command a higher price. They are not necessarily "better" rifles. Personally, I wouldn't worry about hex/round recievers, just find one that is in good condition (really examine the bore/crown). I own a round reciever, and if I do my part, it's pretty accurate.

I have quite a few Soviet mosins and they are all pretty much 3-4 MOA rifles regardless of whether they are hex or round recievers. However, the Finnish mosins are generally much more accurate. All my Finns or 2 MOA or better rifles. You can still find Finnish M39 mosins for under $300. Pat Burns at gunsnammo.com is still selling them.

The hex round receiver thing is no measure of the accuracy of the rifle it's just a general rule for the overall finish of the rifle. And even then it is still not necessarily always the case.

If I was you and had a choice id go with a pre war hex receiver. But in terms of shooting either will serve you just as well.

Just my $0.02... I don't think they will ever be worth anything as a collectors item and I have not noticed any difference when shooting them to warrant paying anymore for the hex. I have a round and I bought my Dad a hex, I feel they shoot the same (I'm no expert on them). I can see the thought on getting a prewar one because they were able to take more time on it, but then again most of them will do the same thing given the same chance. Just be sure to take your time and look it over real good before buying. Bring a light to try to check the bore. Check out 7.62x54r.net if you have not done so already. That site has tons of good info on the MN.

Owner of a model 44 and a model 91-30 Mosin. Key thing to look for are the arsenal marks the higher quality guns came from Imish(?sp). The arsenal mark forthis factory is an arrow inside of a triangle. A lot of thier production was chose for the sniper model.

Is there a difference in accuracy between the 91/30 and the older 1891? I recently saw a very nice 1891 Mosin, made in 1916 I believe...in super condition. It's a bit longer than the WW 2 era Mosins. It is a Russian make, not Remington or Winchester contract. Does the slightly longer barrel of the older 1891 give it better accuracy/handling?

+1 on check bore and crown, for a good shooter.

I have a 1917 M91, that has produced 1.5", 5 shot groups, at 100yds. I'm certain this rifle is the exception to the rules. The crown and bore aren't very clean...but it sure can shoot.

My first Mosin is a WW2 round reciever, and I couldn't hit anything until I converted it to an ATI mount scope, and with it I can get 1 moa. My 2nd is another round reciever WW2 and I have yet to shoot it.

The Hex reciever is "believed" to be of higher quality, because they were more carefully manufactured than the round receivers were during wartime. I dont think there has ever been a true indication that they were any "better", but I guess they might be of slightly higher quality.

When it comes down to it, (as others have said) it's all up to the bore and crown for accuracy. I really don't know if a hex would be worth more money, I really haven't seen it. But if you really like the hex receiver, go for it. If not, I don't think it matters all that much.

Back