mosin nagant help

geoffthesnake

I took apart the bolt to clean it ect, and am trying to put it back together but I cant get the cocking nob to feed into the threads on the end of the firing pin.

is something stripped?
the bolt was fine when i purchased this gun earlier today.

please help.

thanks, but ive seen all the youtube videos and looked at all the different pictures on how to take it apart and put it back together.

but the problem Im having with it is the firing pin not threading into the cocking nob. even when i just use the firing pin without puting the spring on it, or inserting it into the bolt it will still not feed into the threads of the cocking nob.

do i just need a new bolt?

Keep at it!

I took mine apart while cleaning... no instructions handy for the first time. I figured out how it goes back together.

After all... if Russian conscript peasants could do it in 1941, then you and I should be just fine.

Don't get a new bolt. Your bolt is headspaced to your chamber. Getting a new bolt means you have to re-verify headspace and adjust. And if you can't assemble a bolt, then you surely can't adjust headspace safely.

You'll get it eventually. Keep watching those youtubes!

Alright well I finally got the damn thing put back together.

Here are a few pics.

SI850789.jpg

SI850792.jpg

SI850793.jpg

I also got 320 rounds for it.
The damn barrel was dirty as hell, but as far as I can see it looks to be in real good shape. I cleaned all the internal parts to make sure I got all the cosmoline off and what not.

Nice! I've got a '34 Tula. the M44's barrel was pretty dirty. Chuck up your cleaning rod in a cordless drill with a nylon brush on it and run it through the action via the bolt-side (not muzzle). Cleaned it right out, shiny as can be.

Well I've got a bit of another problem again.

Took my mosin to the range yesterday and spent 80 rounds through her and it's safe to say I could not hit the broad side of a barn with this rifle.

It's a 91/30, iI dunno if I need to re sight the gun or what, but could someone help me out as to what I can to do get this gun more accurate?

Before I purchased it I checked the bore and the barrel out, everything looked great, could it possibly be the surplus ammo I'm shooting?

I was bench shooting @ 100 yards, which is the farthest I've ever shot before, so maybe it was the distance not sure.

Thanks for any help!

Former Combloc surplus ammo...

Usually goes bang when you pull the trigger. Beyond that, its a roll of the dice.

There are many things that go into making an accurate rifle/ammo combination. Try shooting closer (50yds) with the same ammo, to see how it does. Don't worry about hitting the mark, just concentrate on hitting the paper, always aiming in the same place (once you're on paper), to see how well you, the rifle, and the ammo group.

Have another (hopefully experienced) shooter shoot a couple groups (at the same range) with your gun. Then you will have some basic information to work from to improve things.

I've been buying new ammo for mine... Just to much of a pain to take it apart to save 50 cents, by the time I factored my time there is no kind of savings at all.

I highly recommend buying a case of new brown bear or something like that, saves tons of wear and tear of taking it apart.

Edit:

Ok new ammo is 150.00 or so a 500 round case, 89.00 for a 440 tin of surplus. Shipping will be about the same, so 49.00 (I went per round x500 so that the math is right) in savings using surplus. I don't know about the rest of you but I only shoot a box or so per range trip or so. That means I get 1.96 to take apart my rifle and clean it with boiling water and clean it extra good. hmmm No thanks. :D

Even if I shoot 3 boxes a trip it's still only 6.12 in savings, I don't know about the rest of you but it takes me about an hour or so to clean it right. So I'll just use new ammo.

Last edited:
i agree with ya C, when i get my mosin imma go ahead and run the steelcased stuff in it and every few trips get ahold of some winchester brass to reload.

If you took the knob entirel off of the pin, you gotta push the pin into the table (opposite the threads) and push down HARD while turning the knob on at the same time. It ain't easy, but you can get it.

some MN's were meant to be shot with bayonete fixed. this may be the problem you are having? im not sure though, i have a M38 carbine which i can hit a watermelon from 350 yards out with no optics (with less than 400 rounds through it) and its my first rifle.

so my guess is either the rifling is shot, the iron sights are off or you need a bayonete :X. (or you need to pick up a new hobby :P )

not trying to come off as a know it all jerk i just bought mine and did alot of research and i could be wrong but ... my 2 cents :D

steaze

p.s. 1st post !

Back