mosin nagant butt plate/recoil pad

ccSnoopycc

I purchased and received an aftermarket recoil pad to go in place of the metal plate on my 91/30. I believe it is the only one available for the rifle. It is around 1in thick, made of rubber, and fits so so on the nagant stock. I took it to the range the other day and dang I think the felt recoil is worse now with the recoil pad than the metal plate. Has anyone tried these recoil pads? If so how did you like them? The rubber one I got is hard as a rock. Did I just get a lemon? If so oh well it was only around $5.

If your's are like mine then there are holes molded in that don't go all the way through. Take a drill and bore them out so they do, that helped with mine a bit.

Not only using the surplus ammo I also have a few SB reloads that are a bit hotter (although within acceptable pressure range) and silver bear rounds that go through it. Recoil is not terrible being similar to a 30.06 in my opinion I just thought a recoil pad might help a bit. Thanks for the suggestion sneasle ill give it a try later this week and see if it works better.

There are also some nice after market synthetic stocks that have some padding. A friend of mine has chosen to go that route.

Just replaced my metal butt BACK....

1. I find natural eye-relief w/ the mounted scope significantly easier, faster, much more comfortable.

2. UTG/AIM/Amazon solid rubber recoil pad does nothing to dampen its push. (reducing it by 5% at the most optimistic, even when you re-drill thru all the holes)

Things that worked for me so far; Recoil vest, gel-filled recoil pads, proper holding on the benchrest (non-trigger hand holds buttplate against shoulder), and/or tight sling when standing or sitting.

I am 160lbs, 5'10". Not a big man. I let go 80 rounds comfortably when I do my part.

I find that it's not the amountof recoil, it's the poorly designed stock, along with the square edged metal buttplate that transfers all that recoil into your shoulder.
I bought one of the hard rubber ebay pads, too. I have not installed and tested it yet, but I am surprised that it is as hard as it is. Drilling the holes through it might be a good solution... I'll probably try it.
If that doesn't work, I'll probably just buy a commercial pad and fit it to the stock myself. It's not that difficult to do.

Years ago I owned an SMLE in .303 British that would beat me up pretty bad off the bench while I was working up loads for it. I ended up investing in a PAST magnum recoil sheild to wear whenever I had any bench work to do with that rifle. I've since sold the SMLE but years after bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Again the metal butt plate when shooting off the bench is down right abusive so I use that recoil shield whenever I shoot the 91/30 off the bench and just take it off when I shoot from field positions. MidwayUSA has it for $29.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/284105/past-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous

Stu

Back