Mosin Nagant bolt issue.

bspillman

Hey folks. The firing pin on my Mosin bolt is not even with the safety handle at the back of the bolt. I checked the protrusion and it is good. But it sticks out the back of the bolt a little. Is this ok to shoot like this.

Use your bayonet or Mosin tool to turn it until it is even with the notches. This must be done with just the handle, spring, and cocking knob assembled.

Edit, I may be reading this wrong. As long as it's close to flush with the cocking knob, it's good to fire.

Use your bayonet or Mosin tool to turn it until it is even with the notches. This must be done with just the handle, spring, and cocking knob assembled.

WRONG.

OP, use your Mosin Nagant firing pin depth gauge. Make sure your firing pin is set correctly, using the notches on the tool. Remember: the first notch SHOULD rub when you slide the tool across the bolt face, the second notch SHOULD NOT rub when you do this.

As long as your firing pin protrusion is set correctly, it does not matter if the back of the pin is not perfectly flush with the rear of the cocking piece nor does it matter if the witness marks line up. You must remember these guns were made about 70 years ago under dire conditions and many have mismatched parts. Not all the parts are going to have ideal, or even standard, fit and finish.

Firing pin protrusion is critical to the safety of your gun. Fit and finish are not.

Thanks for the replies. The protrusion is good I measured that. I put five rounds thought it and it shot great. Thanks again.

The witness marks are indeed supposed to be lined up with the notch. Providing the protrusion is correct they should always line up. This is how I set my protrusion, then check it. Never had a pierced primer once.

It really makes no difference what's lined up or not at the back end.
What counts is the front end, the firing pin protrusion as set with the gauge.
None of the witness marks line up at the rear on my four Mosins, all are set correctly up front.
Denis

^ +1

Same here. All of the witness marks on all three of my Mosins are each a bit off, some more than others, but all have correct firing pin protrusion and that is all that matters.

What Model 12 said...

Cocking piece could have been changed from original.
Firing pin could have been changed from original.

No way to know, even an "all-matching" could have had bolt parts with the exception of the serialed bolt body changed out. Use the protrusion gauge.
Matters not if it protrudes from the back of the cocking piece, or if the witness marks line up.

My witness marks don't exactly line up at the end either, but I just check with the firing pin protrusion tool and it's all been good so far going off of that.

Yeah... the witness marks mean nothing if the firing pin has been replaced.

If it really bothers you, you can grind it down, but keep the protrusion within specs.

Josh

Back