Mosin Nagant again

kraigwy

I got my M91/30 (after picking trough a pile for a good barrel) with the intention of shooting Vintage Military Rifle Matches. It took me a while to figure out the stripper clips and while doing that I've only shoot my gongs at 100 & 200.

Today I decided to see what it would really do. I know MR only shoot 100 or 200 yards but I like to test my rifle/loads at the 300 Yard RF targets. I figure anyone can slop them in at 200 and 600 is more of a test of the shooters judging conditions.

Anyway after confirming my 300 yard zero, I fired my first 300 yard prone rapid fire string.

Got an 85-3. There was a 5 and two "7"s that probably wouldn't have been there if I practice a bit more working the bolt. The rest was pretty good. I need to work on my timing, I shoot way too fast (VMR matches gives you 80 Seconds, more then enough time.

Anyway the gun is a shooter even if I'm not. Used WW brass, 42 grns of 4895, CCI BR primers and Sierra 150 grn spitser bullets. 5 shot averaged 2521 FPS.

I can certainly see how the Russians gave the Germans so much trouble at Stalingrad.

Anyone wanting to shoot GSM matches with the 91/30 doesn't have to feel under gunned.

I was impressed with my Polish MN 1952 M44. I just finished a CMP shoot and they left me up a target, at 200yds. After 5 slow rounds to get the elevation set. I rapid fired prone, 20 rounds of vintage 68 Russian light ball. Every round was in the scoring rings with 10 being in the black (3Xs). I'm just learning so I was very happy. There are no ranges greater than 200yds near me, so I'll probably never get a chance to push it. Very nice shooter for $90!. Your doing 600yds...great shooting!

of all my rifles, the nagant is probably the most neglected, maybe i need to put down my "better milsurps" and spend more time with my m44

My brother killed a few deer with his Chinese Mosin carbine. That thing kicks way too hard for me! I've thought about taking my M39 out hunting next season.

Back