Mosin-Nagant 91/30, TTC Tokarev

Armed_Chicagoan

First purchases with my new 03 FFL I received last Monday, delivered by UPS yesterday. Been wanting a M91/30 hex receiver, so I ordered one advertised as "Very good to excellent". Cost $150 including the $10 hand select charge, haven't cleaned it up yet but I'm pretty pleased so far. Looks like a post-war stock from a Ukraine arsenal refurb. Couldn't get a good pic but the bore looks shiny with good rifling, no pits. Hopefully a good shooter.

m-n01.jpg

Tula factory origin, 1933. Don't know what the symbol is stamped over the "No.", maybe a refurb mark?

m-n02.jpg

Other marks on the receiver, sold in a Circle K store at some point. ;) Or it's a proof of aim mark. Don't know what the symbol to the left of that is, to the far left is a accuracy proof mark.

m-n03.jpg

I have no idea what the "C" is.

m-n04.jpg

Bolt serial matches:

m-n05.jpg

Magazine floor plate serial matches.

m-n11.jpg

Another symbol on the magazine tang.

m-n06.jpg

Serial on butt plate matches.

m-n07.jpg

A "2" is stamped on the tang.

m-n08.jpg

Another symbol of unknown meaning, this one on the safety.

m-n09.jpg

Included accessories, looks like a post-war ammo pouch.

m-n10.jpg

1953 Romanian TTC Tokarev copy, impulse buy since it was under $200 including $10 hand select. This one doesn't have the star symbol on the grips, maybe replacements?

tokarev01.jpg

I thought this was a really cool serial number to get.

tokarev02.jpg

The bore on this pistol also looks very good, hopefully this will be a good shooter. I was surpised how thin this pistol is!

So those were my first C&R purchases, anything you guys can tell me about the symbols on the M-N I can't identify is appreciated. Hopefully will get to shoot them before too long!

That's what I was thinking. But the serial number on the floor plate matches, did they swap magazines during a refurb but use the old floor plate or were some Izhevsk magazines used in the Tula factory?

it was probably force matched, they might have jsut grabbed a new one out of a stack, stamped new serials on the new plate and called it a day.

Welcome to the world of the Mosin-Nagant proof-marks...

I'm convinced there were guys at the arsenal that made up punches for the heck of it, stamping "this and that" all over the barrels just because they were bored, or ran out of wodka.

Most, no one knows what they signify.

What is the date stamp on the bottom of the tang?

@tobnpr - Finally took it apart, on the bottom of the tang are 2 stars on top of each other (double struck apparently), but offset and under those is a number 33. No pic because I need bright sunlight for my macro and it's late now.

Good. Same date confirms the barrel is original to the receiver.

I have an Izhevsk receiver with the same "two compartment box" looking proof on it too. No idea what it signified.

The Romy M57 is a fun gun to shoot...
At least, it was a few years ago when the surplus ammo was plentiful and cheap...

Powerful, .30 cal bullets are more rifle-like than pistol, at 1500-1700 fps.

Just picked up a 880 round crate of 7.62x54R ammo today, $190 including sales tax. Went to a different gun store for some 7.62x25 Tokarev, much more expensive! $32 for a 50-round Winchester white box :eek: . Didn't have any of the cheaper S&B or Prvi.

Cleaned it up real good today, took apart the bolt and got all the cosmo out of it and the rest of the rifle. Now I just need some good weather!

Well I had planned to take advantage of the warm weather this weekend and head down to the range to fire these, but then I woke up yesterday with the flu. Felt fine when I went to bed... :mad:

Back