Mosin M44

slammedsi

Well i picked up a very used M44 for 40 bucks today. was looking at replacing the stock with a factory look alike wood stock. Anyone know where to get one at? Also if yall have any tips tricks or parts that would make this gun a shooter let me know...

2 sites you may want to check out are 7.62x54r dawt net, and surplus rifle dawt com. Loads of stuff to be found with good advice. The mods may also want to move this one to the C+R forum.

What happened to the original stock?

Well i bought it off a friend that's had it for a number of years, and he used it for a farm truck gun. The stock is trashed. but the metal parts are doing good. Still shoots good too.

I see stocks on ebay. In general, it is looked down upon by collectors to refinish a stock, but if it it truly thrashed then it may be worth trying to fix. If not, i see them on ebay every so often. You should be able to find a half-decent one fairly cheaply.

its a 40 dollar rifle. there are aftermarket synthetic stocks out there for it. you can also strip it down and refinish it and it will look 100% better like i did one of mine. i wouldnt worry too much about who might be ''looking down'' on it.

Ive thought about stripping it down and starting over but the stock is just to far gone. It has the Name OLGA carved into it and its soo deep that there is just no way to get it out.

Go onto 7.52x5r.net and talk to the gurus there, They know everything there is to know about those rifles.

If they cant find it no one can.

OR... you could refinish the trashed stock. I did.

P1050384.jpg

Thanks :) I wish I could find where I posted the full pic of the rifle, but I can't find it right now.

The 1952 receiver stamped Hungarian M-44 featured above has mostly matching serial numbers, except for the bolt face, firing pin, magazine spring and follower, and of course, the stock. With exception of the stock, I am the one who switched those parts for more serviceable ones. The bayonet lug has been removed and the surface polished down. The rear sight leaf has been removed and a B-Square rail installed in it's place. A rail originally designed to go on top of a Ruger 10/22 has been affixed to the forward end of the stock in such a manner as to attach a light or a bipod.

The stock bore armory markings from three different nations (Poland, Bulgaria, and Hungary), and was quite marred and abused. It even had a crack that would have eventually left the stock unserviceable if someone continued to fire the weapon without repairing it. I started by sanding it with a fairly coarse grain sand paper, followed by chemical stripping to remove the original tongue oil stain. After neutralizing the stripper, washing it, and allowing it to dry, I sanded it again. At this point, I filled in the crack and sanded that down. Then I applied two liberal coats of an oil-based dark ebony stain to it, and let it dry completely before lightly and slowly sanding it with a fine grain sand paper. Finally, I applied two coats of matte finish spar urathane (designed for outdoor wooden furniture), allowing it to fully dry and light super-fine sanding after each.

Now, the question I know I'm going to get: Why go to all the trouble to do this to a M-44? The answers are easy: 1) To test myself and see if I could refinish it, 2) To test the process to see if it would work and, if so, then how well, 3) Because I felt like it, 4) Because if it didn't work, then I wouldn't be wasting anything that wasn't already going to get wasted anyways. However, I was very satisfied with the results, and it's a must-pack whenever I go to the mountains of NC as an in-case-of-bear rifle. Is it a tack driver? Hell no. Will a heavy ball, steel core 7.62x54R round penetrate a bear (or for that matter, any other animal) skull at close range? I'll be surprised and probably dead if it doesn't. Not that I would hunt with ball ammo, but in a defensive situation, I prefer a CNS kill, and HP or SP may not get the job done on an animal with a skull that thick.

Back