Mosin M44 question

Yes. It can be removed. It isn't soldered into place, though it'll seem like it if you try to remove it.

From someone who already did this: don't. It's a huge PITA and the barrel has a step in it where the bayo was. Not attractive. If you don't like the mounted bayonet, get an M38. Or a 91/30 and chop it down if you want. That'll be easier, look better, and uses a less expensive donor rifle for the opperation.

In addition to the ugly step in the barrel....
The front sight is integral to the bayonet mount. Lose the bayonet mount/lug - lose the sight.

Your only other option is to cut it off.

Thanks guys, I cut the lug off, ground it round, and blued it. Dropping it in the ATI stock now! What a make over! Lol. The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?

Did you clean it real good? You need to clean every bit of cosmoline off that rifle and take a 20 gauge brass brush to the chamber.

After it's cleaned real well, lube the rails and the bearing parts of the bolt. I like to use lithium-moly grease.

Lastly, what ammo are you shooting? Is it brass or surplus ammo? If I mix surplus and brass on the same outing, I have sticky bolt syndrome, but if I shoot brass only or steel case only, I can shoot for hours without a hitch.

In the future, you might want to post in the Bolt, Lever and Pump action section instead of General.

The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?

Some surplus ammo will cause a sticky bolt. I found that the steel cased will cause mine to bind often. It works fine with brass.

The bolt functions well but is tough on the extraction cycle after firing, any ideas?

What seanc said....

Google "mosin nagant sticky bolt".
Any cosmoline residue in the chamber will heat up and ooze out of any machining marks/imperfections in the lug recesses.

Brake cleaner for sure and thorough cleaning, the shotgun chamber brush is a great idea if you have one.

Thanks all great ideas! It will play out well when I get to the range again. Right now I m just playing with a blank after checking the headspace and firing pin limits. Glad there is lots of utube tips too!

What is the proper way for a round to feed when driven forward by the bolt? Is it suppose to rise up under the extractor? Or does the extractor end snap over the case after it chambers in the breech?

OP, I'll be the first to tell you that you just decreased the resale value of that gun in half. It is your private property to do as you wish, but dang, I hate to see that. There's lots of already chopped ones out there. You could have sold yours and taken half that $ and purchased an already chopped one. You'd have the configuration you wanted and you'd be $ ahead. I know it's too late for you, but others may want to heed this.

OP, I'll be the first to tell you that you just decreased the resale value of that gun in half. It is your private property to do as you wish, but dang, I hate to see that.
I understand the sentiment, but turning a $150 rifle into a $100 rifle isn't a big deal to me.

In some markets, it would actually increase the value - since most buyers in some parts of the country use them as hunting rifles, and don't want the side-folding bayonet weighing the rifle down, rattling, and snagging on everything.

Personally.... I bought an M38, to avoid the bayonet.
In most markets they're more desirable (and more expensive) than the M44s, but I picked mine up for "M44 money."
Because the M38 was in an M44 stock, the shop owner thought someone had hacked the bayonet off. Even as a gun dealer, the silly man didn't know the M38s existed. ;)

ninjaamt, I'd help you out with the extractor question, but....
I don't remember how it works, and my M38 is in the far corner, at the very back of an extremely over-crowded safe.
I believe it's a push-feed action, with a snap-over extractor. I just don't remember for certain.

Right, thanks! I hear that from others too. I guess that helps eliminate that feeding issue. My Carcano is sensitive to the more sensitive controlled feed and needs the round under the extractor going in.

M44 Mosin will become more valuable.

The M44 Mosin in very good condition and of later manufacturing dates have been steadily rising as the supply dries up. They were never produced in the numbers of the 91/30's.

I sold one last year for $250 to a collector who liked the laminate stock and later date of manufacuring. I payed $130 a couple of years earlier and hand picked it out of a dozen choices. It likely never saw much use as the SKS and AK-47 became the standard. The Ruskies did keep them well protected for just in case use and sent the crap to Korea and Vietnam.

If you got a horribly machined one do as you like but if it is a better specimen consider that your mod destroys a limited historical piece and one would be better selling it for a profit to a collector. Then use that money to chop up a lesser valued rifle. My dad owned an excellent Mauser that was sporterized and the value is much less than half if it had been left alone. When it was sporterized many of the same arguments were made that there were to many to be of any real value at that time.

Back