Mosin M44 carbine

Drummer101

I have been looking around and I think I found a good deal.

Here is the link:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/Mosin_Nagant.html

The questions I have are:

Is this a reputable site?

Is it a good deal?

Will the ammo still be available down the road or is it one of those dieing calibers (I dont reload)? The ammo I found is here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/440-rds-762x54r-147-gr-fmj-ammo-1-tin.aspx?a=555116

I would like to expect it to be 3 moa and shoot out of the box.

I know nothing about the site. However, that price looks fair. Of course you have to pay shipping and a transfer fee. I would figure out what it's gonna cost online and take that price to a local gun shop to see if they can beat it. I know it's only the difference in a few bucks but it wont take you any longer than going online.

Well I guess under $90 is a decent price, the thing I am worried about is my credit card number and the quality of the gun (as in even able to be shot).

I can have a look around the gun shops when I go home next week.

The 7.62x54R is not a dying round, unlike some other types, such as the .303 British. It is still widely used in many countries around the world. The Dragunov sniper rifle and the PKM light machine gun use the 7.62x54R and are still used very heavily around the world. So surplus ammo should be around for a very long time.

Ok, my goal is to get a Mosin Nagant carbine before Christmas, I go home on Friday and I will be able to go around to the gun stores at that time (Fleet Farm, Wallmart, and hopefully Cabelas (really long drive)).

What particular models should I look for (I am going for shoot ability not collector)? I am looking for the carbine version for under $100. I am looking at these but I have no idea which is best and are there any missing from the list.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM.htm

From what I have read the bolt and receiver have to have matching numbers otherwise it gets sticky.

Almost all of the cheap M 44s are drying up for some reason. They are just that good ! Maybe some dealers has them in stock waiting for the day to come and sellling them for more.

The longer M 91/30s are still around and plentiful.

Dunno about the reputation of that site, but that is indeed a pretty good price for an M44 these days, especially if you're talking about that $79 sale price they got, but even $99 isn't a bad price for one. $79 used to be a pretty common price a few years ago, M44's would go on sale at Big 5 for that amount all the time. These days, when Big 5 has them, they sell for $180.

If ever u find a M 44 or M 38 with a tight bore in a gunshow, grab it quick. I m sure u will not be disappointed. If anything below $ 150 on these carbine rifles are considered very good deals nowadays. DOnt wait.

floridagunworks.com is selling M44s for $119.00 right now. You won't be able to inspect the weapon but that's the cheapest I've seen M44s in awhile. I went to a gun show near Baton Rouge recently and the two M44s there were going for $250.00 and they were pretty rough looking.

not sure where in MN you are, but the Mills Fleet Farm in Blaine had 6 or 7 Mosin's in their cabinet when I was in there a few days ago.

I live in the Twin Cities so I am pretty close (but currently at college till Friday).

Did you get a chance to see the quality of the guns or the price?

3 MOA? Nah. Maybe with a really good 91/30. I have an M38 and it's minute of man, mostly just a range toy/flamethrower.

Honestly unless you just NEED to have a heavy bayonet/mount on your short carbine, I'd skip the M44 and get an M38. Lighter, easier to handle. Otherwise get the 91/30.

Ok, I was able to go down to Fleet Farm and handle a M38, M44 and a 91/30.

The M44 was about $160 and the 91/30 was $85. Only one gun in the case had a matching number on the bolt and receiver.

But after seeing that the 91/30 was not that much bigger than the M44 and the price is so much lower I am going to start to look around for a 91/30.

But I will admit the M44 is much better looking.

Does anyone know a good ffl in the Twin Cities area? It looks like I am going to have to order online.

I found where I am going to buy a 91/30, now all I have to do is sell my air rifle :D

It is going to be about,

$110-$120 for the rifle and accessories (sling, bayonet, cleaning rod and such)
$22 to ship
$10-$20 for ffl transfer
$20-$40 for a case
$10 in cleaning stuff
I am going to get about 25-50 rounds local at a high price to make sure it works and then mass order cheaper stuff.

Last edited:
Back