Mosin archangel stock and shotgun question...

tucker251

Inactive
Anyone have any experience with the archangel stock for the mosin? I was thinking about getting one but had a few questions first. Is it worth it? Is there one with a bottom and top rail? Is the magazine issue a very common thing with them? Any tricks on how to get the small ring off without cutting it? I want to mount a scope and a bipod on it. I saw one where the scope is all the way up by the rear sight post. I want one a little closer. And any suggestions on the scope would be appreciated. Nothing to expensive but something that won't lose its zero or fall off either.

Also, I'm looking for the sling parts for my mossberg 500. Can't find them anywhere. I guess because I don't know what I'm looking for. I found the front piece with the nipped, can't seem to figure out the rear piece. I have the 2016 mossberg 500 tactical scorpion. Any suggestions on a good reflex sight and flashlight?

Anything helps.

I bought my son the arcangel stock for his mosin.

Its a nice stock and helps to be able to shoot the gun better. I also ordered at the time a trigger and extra magazine. It was a $100 option at CTD.

The stock comes with one mag.

The magazines are a little tricky and can suddenly unload in your pocket.

The trigger was the best part of the deal.

Scope mounts have nothing to do with the stock.

David

Have one here.
Put a barreled action in it for photos, but didn't like it.
Currently sitting in the basement. :)

This just reflects my preferences, the quality's fine & others like them.
On the two Mosins I've taken out of military trim, both are in Boyds wood.
Denis

10 seconds on Google: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...ing-mounts/shotgun-sling-mount-prod25503.aspx

As to the stock, no experience. I am a big fan of Mosins, but you need to do some math.

Price the stock, bent bolt, scope mount, and the cost of the gunsmithing to install it.

Now go price a Ruger American Predator.

With the Ruger, for not much more money, you will have a rifle that is better in every measurable way. If you sell the Mosin, you will end up spending less overall. The Ruger regular price is only $450, Take the $200 you would spend on the plastic stock, sell the Mosin for $200 (a little under market value these days) and you are pretty much there.

As a bonus, it won't be the firearm equivalent of a "Race Car" assembled from the accessories isle at Pep-Boys.

Only if he leaves it alone. Once he takes a saw to it, or drills a hole, that argument becomes void.

You can take the Mosin apart without having to cut or drill anything in the original gun or stock. Taking the existing Mosin apart is the most difficult, but if you take your time you can get it all done without damaging the existing parts, including the rings.

To remove the rings without having to cut them you'll need to drift the front sight out. Not all that difficult if you have a wooden dowel and a hammer. Take your time and you can move the front sight out of it's slot. You remove the rings and then can reinstall the front sight. Once the rings are off you just need to take out a couple existing bolts and the barrel, action and trigger come right out.

Installation into the Archangel stock is a breeze. Two bolts and the trigger, if you get an aftermarket one, and it's installed in the new stock. For the Mosin I would recommend installing the barrel tightener before installing the barrel and action. You don't have to use it, but I had to expand my tightener against the barrel in order to tighten my groups up.

As to adding a scope, there is nothing on top of the barrel and action from Archangel. So any scope added to the top will need to have a different aftermarket mount, which may include you needing to drill and tap for the mount. The front swivel mount for a sling is not strong enough to mount a bipod, so you will need to get an aftermarket swivel and bolt it in. I mounted a bipod to mine and after several shots the swivel works its way out and the bipod is unstable.

For me it was worth it as I bought the worst beat up rifle to part it into the Archangel. Once done over, it looks and shoots great. Go for it as it's something different that can be decently accurate.

photo7_zps60f1f039.jpg

When it comes to mounting a scope on the MN (the stock has no relevance), you either drill and tap the receiver for one of the three mounts made for this- that places the scope low, and back over the receiver for a "standard" eye-relief scope, or you use one of the many dozens of iterations of mounts that attach to the rear sight base or dovetail.

ANY of these mounts that attach to the rear sight or dovetail will require a long eye-relief scope. I see all kinds of abominations online that do otherwise, but fact remains that none of these mounts are able to get the scope positioned where it needs to be for a correct cheekweld and eye relief with a standard scope.

I've gotten many calls from customers that tried this- and once they found out that they needed to put their chin practically on/over the receiver they ended up sending it in for drill and tap.

IMO, avoid the mounts that attach to the rear sight base and cantilever waaay back over the receiver in an attempt to get the scope further back.
Never, ever going to hold zero.

My professional recommendation (and I specialize in these):
If you're going to use a long eye-relief scope, just go with a short rail on the rear sight base. This type will be a more solid mounting, better ability to withstand movement/hold zero. Take a measurement to approximately where the rear objective will be from your eye when the stock is comfortably shouldered, and get a scope with corresponding eye relief. Never do it the other way around...

If you want to use a traditional eye relief scope, drill and tap for a Rock Solid, ATI, or Trueshot mount; period- best to take it to a local smith or send it to me if you don't have the equipment and experience to do this correctly.

Far as the Pro Mag stock...
I don't use them personally, I (obviously) prefer my own. They offer a lot of bang for the buck with the adjustable cheek and buttplate. IF you like the style, they're a good functional stock and fit most MN's without much or any inletting/modification. I do hear about mag issues still, but not as much. This was a biggg problem when they first introduced the stock. If a DBM is important to you, this is the only way to get one (I could care less about them). Boyd's also have a few selections of affordable stocks- but as with any stock for the MN, I recommend they be epoxy bedded for best accuracy.

o5TiZ76l.jpg

Last edited:
Just can't see the purpose of making a more costly sow's ear out of a sow's ear by adding a $150 stock.
All of my Mosins shoot just fine the way they came. Every one was either less than a hundred bucks, or just a bit over when I bought them.

Just can't see the purpose of making a more costly sow's ear out of a sow's ear by adding a $150 stock.
All of my Mosins shoot just fine the way they came. Every one was either less than a hundred bucks, or just a bit over when I bought them.

When your not married and sleeping with the same woman year after year it can be fun to sleep with a different woman for a change, even if she is plumper and not as pretty. ;)

In ten years the Mosin will be worth twice what it is now and the Ruger will be worth what he paid for it today.

Maybe on the Ruger ...

On the Mosin, whether its value has increased depends on whether it's still in original, stock ("as-issued") condition, or whether the OP fuglied it up with all sorts of mods and modern "tacticool" add-ons.

Blingy mods don't increase the value of an old school rifle when you go to sell it.

Last edited:
Quote:

When your not married and sleeping with the same woman year after year it can be fun to sleep with a different woman for a change, even if she is plumper and not as pretty.

My change is with the entire firearm, not putting makeup on one, and thinking it is something different.
Mosin 91/30 Tula Hex
Mosin 91/30 Ishy round
Mosin 91/59
Mosin Hungarian M44
Swiss K-31
Mauser 98k Russian capture
A couple other Mausers
2 styer M-95
MAS 1935
MAS 49/56
HAKIM
4 SMLE Enfields including a 2a in 7.62x51
Then we get into my C&R handguns, and if that isn't enough "different women" we can go into a long list of commercial guns.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman
Blingy mods don't increase the value of an old school rifle when you go to sell it.

The opposite any more.

Maybe with Mosins, which up until recently there has been a glut of. Just like 40-50 years ago when we destroyed beautiful, pristine K98 Mausers making very nice looking "sporterized" rifles. The Mausers were bought for well under a hundred bucks, gunsmithing, blue, stock work added a nother one to two hundred dollars, and gave us a rifke worth maybe that $300 e en today. The problem is thst oristine Mauser today would be worth thousands, not hundreds.
Will the MN be worth thousands in the future, probably not. So tinker away with plastic stocks, and add ons. It's still going to be just a Mosin Nagant.

I don't know, Mosin prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years, probably 5 years ago I got a 91/30 for $75, today an equal rifle would be about $250.

I don't think they will ever pull the same prices as German Mausers, but I also don't think they will ever be $75 again.

I have an archangel stock for my custom 91/30. It is a very good quality stock for the money I would say.

It is free floated, and holds the receiver in place very snug.

The stock does not come with any rails, however you can buy a rail that mounts on the bottom for it from the same company.

As for the magazine, if it is loaded to capacity it has a tendency to push all of the rounds out if you shake it hard enough. Besides that it has been fine for me.

Also, I know modifying rifles like mosin nagants isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think some of you miss the point somewhat. Could you buy a rifle that's way more accurate right off the shelf? Absolutely, but for some people like myself it's not as fun to just buy a super accurate target rifle.

I think it's much more satisfying to BUILD a fun target rifle. A mosin nagant is just a fun and relatively simple rifle to customize, and it's really unique when you do since it's unlikely someone else will have one exactly like yours.

There are a lot of very cheap options to modify a mosin, but there are also very quality options. Mine was worked on by big gorilla gunworks (tobnpr on here), and is FAR from a "racecar built from pep-boys" parts.

Back