mosin action long range rifle

Ultra12

I been thinking about using mosin action to build a "sniper rifle". the round is great and cheap. I originally tried to keep it as close to stock and added a Jmerc scope mount and a scope . I also bent the bolt by a gunsmith it looks cool but shoots like crap. i mean its great for the purpose it was made and that's being simple, durable and accurate enough to hit center mass at long distances. i seen some chop jobs, bubba guns and some real nice sportirized mosins. they look great with custom barrels and scopes but do they shoot like a "sniper rifle" should. especially when you dump $1000 in to a $149.99 rifle. I was considering going and getting a Howa 1500 in 243 but i think it would be really cool to custom make your own. I guess the question is can you make a mosin nagant in to a precision rifle capable of MOA and how much will that cost

I would say it depends on your ability to DIY.
My sporter shoots minute of angle with handloads. Properly bedded (receiver and pillars) with a Timney and a shortened/recrowned barrel.

If you have to pay a gunsmith to accurize it, you'd be better off with a factory gun. All (Howa, Savage, Rem) will serve you well, and probably for less money and be more accurate.

If you want something different than the guy next to you at the Line, and keep things in perspective it can be fun.

Handloading is also a must. If you want a true shooter, there is no surplus ammo that's up to moa consistency.

IMAG0583.jpg

Find an M39

If you want a true "sniper" accurate rifle start looking for a Mosin Nagant M39 Finnish model. They are much more accurate than the Russian models and the stock has a "pistol" style shape to it making it more comfortable to shoot, although aftermaket stocks are readily available for Nagants and inexpensive. I used to have a M39 (I also regret ever selling it) and polished the sear and got the trigger really nice. The M39's are known to be some of the most accurate rifles ever built. Depending on the condition, the Finnish, Mosin Nagant M39's sell from the $300-$500 range.

Here's a link with more info:
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_mosin_nagantm39.asp

Ultra12 said:
not sure what you re trying to show me but i want to modify my mosin.

You said you wanted to build a Mosin based "sniper rifle"

I sent you a link to an actual Soviet Mosin Nagant Sniper rifle for less than you plan on spending.
RGUNS said:
Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Sniper Rifle
FFL RequiredC&R Eligible
IN STOCK
$800.00
Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Sniper Rifle
Original World War Two Soviet Red Army sniper rifle, caliber 7.62x54mmR. Comes with Original WWII PU Scope and Mount. Turned down bolt. Very good to excellent condition. Curio/Relic.
9130Sniper-400.jpg

TX Hunter said:
You can get a Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle from SOG for $400.
Not a bad deal.
The ones SOG sells are reproductions, with a new mount and replica scope. There is no selection of the rifles for accuracy the way the Soviets did, they just slap a PU scope and a bent bolt on standard 91/30s. I have one. It is fun, but not particularly accurate.

The ones RGUNS sells are the real deal.

Mosin Nagant scope?

Hey guys, this is my 1st post, and I think its a good one. I just got a 1938 Mosin Nagant made in the Izhevsk plant, and was wondering what kind of scope these rifles were mated to? I know there are PE, PEM, And PU scopes/mounts, which one? Its a round receiver and the left side of the receiver is machined so it tapers as it goes up, Im not sure if a PEM or PU would fit...
Ps, no sh***y aluminum weaver rails

Last edited:
Back