mosin accuracy?

Hog head

I have a chance to con my brother out of his mosin for a little welding job,and was wondering about accuracy.What is typical and what is GOOD for one in good shape?It's the longer one not the carbine.

My 91/30 with the ladder sights (standard sights) on it is good for minute-of-pumpkin out to 300 yards. Probably further, too.

I just installed Mojo sights on it but have yet to shoot it. Looking forward to it... it feels a lot better to look down now.

Other 91/30's might only be good for minute of barn out to 50 yards, though. Depends on the quality of the rifle.

I have a 91/30 (the longer one) from Izvehsk arsenal, stamped 1944. It has been back bored and re-crowned at some point. Using Bulgarian heavy ball (182gr steel core I think) or Russian light ball (147gr steel core, IIRC) I can count on 6" 5-shot groups at 100yds from kneeling. I haven't shot it from the prone because Iowa has been under either several feet of snow or several feet of water for the last year and a half. :mad:

An interesting tidbit- The last time I took the M-N out, I found that if I shot from a certain angle, there would be a roughly 9" diameter tree between me and my 100yd target. I decided to see what a 5-shot group fired through a tree would look like. Still about 6"! The tree destabilized the first shot and it went through the target sideways, and about 4" right of POA. The other four stayed close to POA and looked fine.

Thanks man.
Is there a big difference in the standard model and the snap on model?

Do I need to do any drilling into my rifle at all for this?

Pretty easy to install.

All you change out is the rear sight. The "snap" model has a replacement front sight that is a peep within a peep, and I didn't care for the idea. I wanted a similar sight picture to my AR and M14, not something new and goofy.

Prior to starting, find a piece of scrap 2x4. Drill a 3/4" hole in it, then cut the hole in half with a table or chop saw. This will be the lower half of your improvised barrel vise.

Also grab a c-clamp and a thin piece of wood. Popsicle stick, balsa scrap, something like that. Cardboard would work too.

Remove the Mosin action from the stock and use a punch and hammer to drive out the retaining pin on the ladder sight. Set it and the pin aside. Leave the stainless steel leaf spring inside the assembly. Set your mojo sight on top of the leaf spring. Put your piece of 2x4 underneath the barrel, below the sight assembly. Put your popsicle stick on top of the mojo sight, and use the c-clamp to squeeze the mojo down and align the hole in it with the holes for the retaining pin. I couldn't do this by hand.

Once aligned, drive the pin in to place.

You're done. Reassemble rifle.

Last edited:
Pretty good.

I sighted in a 91/30 with a pistol scope on it. 100 yards had 1.5 inch group.

I have the MOJO on my M44 and love it.

steve

I've shot a mosin.........the safety and trigger were ....difficult. I felt the trigger pull hindered accuracy Are all mosin's like that?

60+ year old military rifles

surplus ammo of widely varying quality.
Fair sights
less than great triggers
varying bore sizes (due to age, treatment, and wartime tolerances)
conditions ranging from battlefield pickup to arsenal refinished.

Shooter ability

all have a relationship to the Moisin accuracy. There is no single overall answer, other than each rifle/ammo/shooter combination is an individual.

3-4 inches with good ammo would be reasonable. 1.5 inches is outstanding. 5-6 inches not unusual, or uncommon. Worse? Its out there too. Perhaps better is also. But if it is, it isn't common.

i have two of them.. one m44. and one 91/30.. the 91/30 is by far the most acurate. and actualy it has what i consider a great trigger. the safty. LOL. what safty. now i can bang a 2x2 gong all day long off hand with the 91/30.. and probably 75% of the time wiht the 44... at 200 yards. for the money for both the rifle and the ammo. you cant go wrong.

shawn

I'm nowhere near a good marksman and so far my Mosin (1943 91/30, Russian-made, excellent condition) is the only rifle I own, but I found it to be fairly accurate, even though I was shootin at only about 80 yds. That's been my only time so far shooting it, but i was hitting where I was aiming (Brown bear or silver bear bullets, can't remember now 'cause they're all gone, but they were the 203 grain SP) and it was hitting the berm behind my target which was about 150 yds from me at basically what the POA would've been, had my wood pallet-mounted target not been there, I was seeing big puffs of dirt pop up behind my target and the point of origin seemed to be about even with my point of aim. I'd love to find a public range longer than 100 yds where I can actually use the ladder sights and see how accurate it really is. Oh I love my rifle, the sights are simple and excellent, I hate whatever sights are on the M-16/M-4s. Plus, I've developed a bad flinch when shooting my uncle's rifles (.300 Mag and 7mm Weatherby Mag) but no such flinch with my Mosin, I'm less scared of it maybe.

Sounds like I shall indeed accuire this gun.:DI shot a couple of boxes of shells through it a few years ago and it must be a good one.My range finder read 450 yards and with one type mabey it grouped 24 inches and came up a little short.(shooting at a rock in the river gorge)The other kind,I wore a divit in the rock the size of a soccer ball,with iron sights.I also had my remington 700 .223 it's group was baseball.If I can't find the good ammo I"ll make it.

I'd love to find a public range longer than 100 yds where I can actually use the ladder sights and see how accurate it really is.

I played with the sights a little and didn't notice ant diffrence out that far,but it also shot a couple of inches low at 100 yards.sorry not much help there for you.yet:D

I think it all depends on which make you get. So many countries and builders were making the Nagants that some are way different from others. The Soviets were using the Nagants as sniper rifles and those had to be accurate. If you get a good one, you've got a good rifle. Thankfully, I've got a good one.

My m91 manufactured by Remington shoots better than any other mosin I've seen... It's really a crap shoot... Finding a mosin with a clean bore is half the battle as many are pitted from corrosive ammo and a lack of proper cleaning...

The factory refurbs I have seen lately may have a normal muzzle or counter bored back. But it does not seem to be hard to find a refurb with a nice bore. I have got ahold of some Finn captures that were junk with bad bores but the two refurbed 1943 guns I have now appear perfect bore wise. Might have microscopic flaws but they appear smooth or even shiny and the one I have shot gives good groups with light ball surplus ammo. If you get a nice bore maybe you can count on it shooting practical accuracy at 100 yards to be equal to something like it's contemporaries, like the SMLE, Mauser, etc. if all had nice bores. Finns are supposed to be most accurate but they cost alot more for what better chances you get of possible better accuracy. Never gonna have a really smooth light trigger pull but there are some better than others. Put a dab of snot slick grease on the sear or the cocking piece that contacts it, and might help some.

Back