Mosin 91-30

kilotanker22

Came across a very nice Mosin 91-30 at the LGS. Has an angled bolt handle. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts. And in excellent shape to boot. Price tag was $175. I figured that was fair. So I asked him to set it in the back and I would come get it Friday.

What do the masses here think? Is Ammunition still dirt cheap online? And most importantly. Who makes the best brass and dies for it?

Really not "cheap" at this point. About what you'd pay for other large-bore, centerfire rifle cartridges. Brass and dies, wouldn't know. PPI has always been the best quality, best performing for me. Obvious disclosure about using surplus ammo, corrosive, clean well with water/ammonia after shooting surplus, blah blah, but I'm sure you already know that bit. Also disclosure about 54r needing different primers due to design of the anvil, but again, assuming you know that.

Honestly still one of my favorite guns to shoot. Obviously sparingly, but always draws a few looks and puts a grin on my face.

I’ve started loading mine with PPU brass and a Lee die set. Grafs usually has some brass in stock. Haven’t shot it much but you can load 123 gr .310 bullets for light short range shooting (a wider bore might not shoot them as well at range). The Hornady starting load has low recoil and is fun at the range. Given the Soviet sights you don’t go out for shooting groups.

I have not compared dies, but RCBS work fine for me in this round. I checked my brass, and it's all Norma, with the exception of the spent cases from my Wolf ammo. That probably means it was all I could find at the time. Norma brass is great, but I don't think it's worth the price. You might just buy some Wolf ammo. I've found it to be pretty good, and the brass is fine for reloading.

Hello,

I've been seeing it for $10 per 20 rounds.

Reloading is extremely rewarding and that's what I do. I recommend rolling your own 7.62x54r to anyone shooting it. It's really capable of some amazing precision.

Regards,
Josh

Nothing for the 7.62 x 54R is hard to come by. The brand of dies doesn't make much difference either. Lots of garbage, steel cased, milsurp/commercial ammo around. And just as much decent hunting and target ammo. sportsmansguide.com lists ammo for as little as $13 per 20.
Sounds like Bubba has been at that one. Bolts on the sniper variant did not have bent handles. Where the D&T'd holes are matters too. Sounds like it's a hunting rifle(not a bad thing. The 7.62x54R will do everything a .30-06 will do.) more than a collectable.

I'm loading for a 1931 Mosin Nagant 91/30.
Using Lee dies, and Winchester brass, I'm getting about 3" 10-shot groups at 100 yards, with stock iron sights. This is a regular ol' arsenal refurbished rifle, with a dark and pitted bore, so I'm satisfied with the outcome.

No special concerns reloading this cartridge, it's straight forward. If you want to use cast bullets, I would strongly suggest slugging the bore.

Back