Mosin 91/30 Bayonet

LloydXmas250

I just got my Mosin today. Cleaned it for a few hours and it's looking very nice. However when I went to attach my bayonet, it would not slide over the muzzle far enough to twist and lock in place. Yes I understand how to put it on, and yes it has the same serial number as the barrel. It's just so tight. I tried oiling and it didn't help much. I'm sure I could force it on but at the risk of never getting it off. Any tips on getting it to fit easily?

Is normal. Is not for weak milktoast-fed Capitalist Swine. Use hammer if needed.

Seriously they are almost all too tight to easily put on and take off. I've thought about sanding the inside of the bayonet socket, but have not bothered.

Yeah. I'm just worried about getting it on but not off. I'm not really down for sanding it. I just don't get how troops could put it on in the field if I can't do it at home without tools.

no, don't tap it on with a hammer. that will work, but obviously it doesn't fit and like you said, it will be very difficult to remove.

this is common. take some sand paper or a dremal and take a little material off the bayonet.

They didn't have the tightest quality control back on communist Russian while they were under huge pressure from the Germans. Their attitude was basically "make some more guns, NOW...".

Like i said, sanding the bayonet is the the only way to make it fit well. or you could buy another bayonet and hope that it fits. Unless its the original bayonet for your rifle, there is a chance that it isn't going to fit.

Quick question....

Do you have a scabbard for that Russian bayonet? No? Didn't think so. They are very rare items.

The general policy was that the bayonets were fixed on the rifles, and left that way all the time! I would guess a very tight fit would encourage them to be left on, as well. The long rifle with its long bayonet gives some impressive reach, and considering the large numbers of Czarist and later Soviet troops who were more familiar with stabbing than shooting, it does make a degree of sense.

Unlike western armies, Russian/Soviet armies left the bayonets fixed on their infantry rifles, more often than not. After all, if you don't take it off, its one less thing for the muzhiks (peasants) to lose!

That may be true. It may have been hard to remove on purpose, but it should at least go on. Plus you can see the wear on the muzzle from the bayonet going on and off.

Like 44 AMP said, it was meant to be put on and left on. They made it difficult to install and remove on purpose. I would not suggest attaching the bayonet. Just keep it with the rifle in case you ever decide to sell it. If you absolutely insist on installing the bayonet (and then having a 5 and a half foot long rifle) you can use a small amount of grease on the inside ring of the bayonet to ease installation. Just don't count on ever being able to get that bayonet off again if you do install it. ;)

yep. sand the inside of it out, mine took alot of sanding but eventually i got it to where it came on and off with ease

i got mine to go thru once, problem was taking it off, after that one time i never bothered with the damn bayonet again.

Sorry to bring back a 3 day dead post

But I just boiled the cosmo off my bayo and popped it on my gun no problem. And then the metal cooled and locked onto the barrel. I had to take a prybar to get it off.

most of the refurbishing involved putting a thin layer of black paint on the bayonet, some of the importers seem to do that to. discovered that when i asked why hoppes 9 was removing the finish in some aras of bayonet.

the bayonet was intended to be left upon the rifle unless the soldier was being transported inside a vehicle, seems the soviet government didnt like bayonets poking thousands of little holes in the canvas covers of their vehicles.
also, the bayonet was to be removed for cleaning, and it was an emergency screw driver to use to remove the reciever screws to remove said assembly from stock.
also, how does your mosin shoot without the bayonet on? do you have two lines engraved upon the front sight and front sight base?

Back