More whining and bovine exhaust out of Chicago

Oatka

Hell hath no fury like a spurned liberal.
http://www.chicago.tribune.com/news/opinion/article/0,2669,SAV-9912310191,FF.html

"PHILIP, CRIMINALS WIN AGAIN

December 31, 1999

What a bunch of gutless sheep.

Let's make this clear. If everyone had shown up Wednesday in the Illinois Senate, if everyone had lived up to their word, Illinois citizens would be protected by a tough, necessary anti-crime law.

But not everybody showed. Some who showed didn't vote. Some found more important things to do than vote against crime. What gutless sheep.

Senate President James "Pate" Philip, you can't say he's gutless. He had the guts to browbeat and threaten his own members to defeat the bill. He had the guts to turn this from a crime vote into a political loyalty vote. He told his members to snub Gov. George Ryan and not show up in Springfield. He told them this wasn't about crime, this was about loyalty to him.
Thanks to the gutsy Philip, Illinois is an easier place for criminals to mug, steal, rape, shoot and rob.

Philip has nothing to explain. He wants to protect the gun lobby at any cost. So far he has succeeded.

But others better be working on something better than the whimpering excuses they offered this week.

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Chicago), who has--had?--aspirations to be a member of Congress, chose a trip to Hawaii over public safety in Illinois.

Sen. Kathleen Parker (R-Northbrook) also chose a vacation over public safety in Illinois. A vacation to who knows where--she made sure nobody could track her down.

Senators Chris Lauzen and Patrick O'Malley couldn't even bring themselves to vote up or down. They voted "present." Thanks for showing up. Don't forget to collect your daily expense checks.

Where were the others George Ryan was counting on? Everybody had excuses. Tom Walsh. Rickey Hendon. Wendell Jones. James DeLeo. Excuses.

Then there were the suburban Republicans who spit in the eye of every police officer supporting this law, who voted against the clear majority of their constituents: Adeline Geo-Karis, Doris Karpiel, Dick Klemm, Steve Rauschenberger.

There are few truly essential services of government, but one of the essentials is to protect the public. People rely on police to patrol the streets and on lawmakers to give police the tools they need. The police will hold up their end. They'll be out on watch today. The lawmakers will be hiding under the covers.

This issue isn't going away. Gov. Ryan, Atty. Gen. Jim Ryan, Mayor Richard Daley and the scores of law enforcement officers in this state who support re-enacting the Safe Neighborhoods Act with the toughest gun provisions will be back next year, back right smack in the face of the lawmakers.

Happy New Year. Stop saluting the gun lobby and start listening to the police. Find some guts."

You can let those bozos know what you think of their "truth in reporting" editorial at -- http://www.chicago.tribune.com/interact/letters/letted.htm

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Dennis,
The only police they will listen to is the political hacks who are appointed to run the agencies. Working cops, the ones who put on body armor and attempt to actually enforce the law are ignored. We don't know how it really is. I was told that by our senior Senator Dick Durbin when he was the US Congressional rep from my district before the assault weapons ban. I circulated a petition amoung the working cops of the county in which I live. No one above the rank of Sergeant was allowed to sign it. During the 1993 Christmas recess, I met with Congressman Durbin in his office in Centralia Illinois and presented him with the petition. We had a 45 minute meeting whre we discussed the issues, he spouted out some of the tired HCI BS about more gun dealers then gas station owners in the country etc. But he did agree that military style semi automatic weapons were not used much in crime, and that they were actually more of a collectors/competitive shooters weapon.

We kept the pressure up all through the debate, letters, phone calls, etc. Then when he voted for the ban, I sent a letter reminding him of our meeting and what he had told me face to face. I received a letter back, signed by him personnally stating that he had to defer to the experts. Enclosed was a copy of a letter from Jeremy Margolis (who was then Director of the Illinois State Police) who never worked on the street, was a political appointment when the Edgar administration came in and one from Dewey Stokes (then President of the FOP) who had been nothing but a union hack for years, thanking him for voting for the bill.

I am a member of the LEAA, but I assure you that only the voices that say the politically correct truth are heard.

Jeff

I have a question about police organizations.
If the RKBA was really important to the rank and file - could they not vote out the FOP leadership that is antigun?

I always here that rank and file support gun ownership but I'm leary that the gun community only hears from those who support the RKBA for reasons unrelated to law enforcement. For example, their background and social values.

Just curious.

Glenn,
The FOP is a labor union, like the Teamsters and the Steelworkers. As such it is heavily tied to Democratic party politics. Dewey Stokes was voted out as president of the FOP and rumor has it that the public gun control stand he took had something to do with it. But remember the union is more concerned with labor issues such as working conditions, salary negotiations etc. Several years ago the FOP did a survey of their members about gun control, they never did release the results of that survey. Another organization, the Southern Police Benefit Association did survey their members and the results were very progun.

Last year at this time the debate over CCW was raging in Missouri. The rank and file officers from all over the state, publically came out and supported CCW. Their support didn't get a lot of press. KMOX Radio, the talk all news format king in the Midwest did run a number of shows and Charles Jaco (former CNN newsie) did ask the chiefs (who were against CCW) the hard questions about why their rank and file officers supported this and they opposed it. No good reasons were given except to hint that the officers were being bought out by the progun lobby.

In reality, the Clinton Administartion has been buying out the Chiefs and Labor unions with grant money. Did you ever wonder where the uniformed (and unarmed BTW) officers that stand behind Clinton when he announces another scheme to destroy the Bill of Rights come from? I'll tell you where they come from, they are assigned that duty for the day, and are paid by their agencies to be there. There have been a couple of lawsuits filed by some of these officers about being compelled to take part in political activities as part of their job.

There are two reasons you don't hear much about this stuff. One is that the media won't tell you about this stuff. The second is that policemen often put their jobs in danger by publically speaking out. The job is supposed to be above politics. However like so much else under Clinton that has been subverted.

Jeff

That recent Tribune editorial sounds like the work of R. Bruce Dold, the paper's leading gun prohibitionist and hater of James 'Pate' Philip, Republican state senate leader and the man who told Gov. Ryan (Rep.) to take a flying **** on gun laws. It sure would be nice if the Tribune had the guts to sign their editorials. Interesting how they won't publish a letter to the editor unless it's signed. Too bad, the Tribune used to be a solid conservative paper and now is little more than a large version of the Sun-Times.

Back