More queries about reloading 410?

Prof Young

Loaders:

I just started trying to learn to reload 410.

I'm reloading 2.5 inch Winchester hulls and following the formula in my lyman handbook exactly. I'm using an XRing survival loader, and I'm loading for my handguns that shoot 410, a Bond Arms Rowdy and a Taurus Public Defender.

My queries . . .

1. It says 12.5 grains of Alliant 410. Which I'm using. Why is there no "starting" amount and a "don't exceed" amount as in rifle or pistol cartridge formulas?

2. I'm shooting #4 copper coated lead shot. It's supposed to take 1/2 an ounce. I can only get 0.45 of an ounce in there before it is over loaded and can't be fully crimped. Is this normal? Talk to me.

3. Shot some of them today and they seem to be a bit hot? Is there a difference between formulas for a hand gun and a long gun?

Any thoughts and advice will be welcome. The survival loader is kind of a pain to use, but I'm managing to make it work okay.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Shotshell is a bit different than metallic. You use what the book says, for everything (other than basically a generic version of a wad). Period. It's odd getting used to it. The hulls and wad are also critical. I don't know about 410, but with about every other, some hulls are straight walled, others, the plastic is tapered and gets thicker at the bottom, the hulls have a cushion at the bottom, some are plastic, some are paper. You have to match the wad shape to the hull shape.

As for the shot fitting, I've usually used the wad pressure to kind of fine tune how much shot they hold. It compresses the powder a bit, and also kind of squishes down the buffer that's at the bottom of the wad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oh the joys of the 410 bore. First and foremost the recipies have something in common.
1) Shot weight is based upon soft lead. Not Magnum hard, copper plate, nor nickel plate/////soft lead.
2) Wads are mostly based upon no crumple zone. With the exception of certain Italian wads there is no "crumple zone". Over Powder goes directly to over shot without exception.
3) wads are mainly for 2 1/2" hulls so the last 1/2" are bore scrubbers.

You can always cut down, trim, load with COW and fire form303 brass to make brass 410 shells.
444 Marlin too. But you might have to file the head down a little. I've know a guy that uses 444 for I believe 0000 buck (maybe 000)

Also, keep in mind that a rifled barrel will really sling the shot. With #4 shot in my judge I was getting about a 6 foot pattern at 6 feet. Smaller shot will help get more pellets on target. That was shooting into the dirt, so not actual patterning, and with factory loads.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Loaders:

I just started trying to learn to reload 410.

I'm reloading 2.5 inch Winchester hulls and following the formula in my lyman handbook exactly. I'm using an XRing survival loader, and I'm loading for my handguns that shoot 410, a Bond Arms Rowdy and a Taurus Public Defender.

My queries . . .

1. It says 12.5 grains of Alliant 410. Which I'm using. Why is there no "starting" amount and a "don't exceed" amount as in rifle or pistol cartridge formulas?

2. I'm shooting #4 copper coated lead shot. It's supposed to take 1/2 an ounce. I can only get 0.45 of an ounce in there before it is over loaded and can't be fully crimped. Is this normal? Talk to me.

3. Shot some of them today and they seem to be a bit hot? Is there a difference between formulas for a hand gun and a long gun?

Any thoughts and advice will be welcome. The survival loader is kind of a pain to use, but I'm managing to make it work okay.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Relax, it's ok.

You're only talking about 6.6 #4 pellets. As shot size increases, it can't pack as densely in a given volume, especially in a hull as small as a 2.5" .410. Look up "cubic closest packed for spheres".

I imagine you'd have no trouble loading a full .5 oz of #9 in the same load.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

" . . . 6.6 #4 . . ."?

Old School:

I don't understand the "6.6" part of the info above? Help?

Thanks
Life is good.
Prof Young

Back