More potential bad news from lawsuits...

Aahzz

I was in one of my favorite little gun stores last night, and received yet more bad news. This store owner, like all the gun store owners in Southern CT, is currently being sued by the city of Bridgeport, along with the manufacturers. Due to this, they have regular meetings of all the companies/stores that are co-defendants in this case. Word from Colt's lawyer at the latest meeting is that Colt, and perhaps other major manufacturers, is considering ceasing any sales to the general public in return for dismissal of suits. Yup, Colt very well might sell us out - apparently 80% of their sales are to law enforcement/military, so it wouldn't hurt them too much to effectively create a manufacturer-based ban on new guns.

Anyone have any good ideas for stopping this? It doesn't seem like boycotting Colt would work....I'll keep thinking....anyone?

Aahzz

The companies have always been the weak link; Public, vulnerable to government action, conditioned by decades of regulation to knuckle under when pressured. Two approaches suggest themselves to me:

1. We BUY the companies which are publicly traded.

2. In a free market, (Which this one isn't much, anymore.) new companies spring up when old ones forgo a market. Tell Colt to screw themselves, and manufacture our own.

Isn't Colt largely owned/controlled by the state of Connecticut? Colt is probably the most compromised gun manufacturer in the US because it has been in economic trouble so long that factions who are not committed to RKBA now control the company. At best I'd look for Colt to act based solely on the bottom line. If what you describe happens it'll give the suing lawyers a nice juicy headline, but I don't think that Colt is representative of most gun companies.

I hope you're right, and Colt is not representative. I know that they can't possibly handle the financial ramifications of losing the lawsuits - but is any manufacturer on firm enough financial footing to handle losing? The guys I was talking to have me nervous - Colt's lawyer is not the only one they've been talking to, merely the only one they've quoted.

At the same time, they seem to be a wee bit pessimistic anyway. They mentioned, after seeing the NRA cap I was wearing last night, that they think we've already lost, they wouldn't be seen in an NRA cap right now for fear of being attacked, and that we might as well just bend over and take it in the rear. I refuse to give up that easily.

Aahzz

Back