More Mini-14 questions

SB

I had fun last weekend shooting my Mini-14 Ranch. Among other things, we shot at an old, discarded propane tank. Not surprisingly, UMC's FMJ drilled right through. However, so did Remington's SPs.

Anyway, you folks weren't kidding about the gun heating up quickly. After 5 shots, even the shroud was noticeably hot. And I realize that a heated barrel will throw off your shot accuracy.

Now, this guy I was shooting with tells me that I just GOTTA have a scope, but I'm not so sure. I guess I'm double-checking with you folks again. The Mini-14 seems like it fits the cliche, "You get what you paid for", because while it can serve both as a hunting rifle or urban carbine, it doesn't seem to excel in either fields. Not too big of a deal for me personally. But back to the scope, rather than as a hunting rifle, I was looking more along the lines of using it as an urban tactical carbine instead. First of all, is my logic flawed? Seriously, I want to know. The Mini-14 seems to do just fine, just not as good as some other types of carbines. But with that, rather than a scope, I was looking more along the lines of a rear sight. On the other hand, maybe a good scope will do just as well. What do you folks think? I still remember some of you folks warning me that the Mini will pound the living daylights out of scopes, but when I shot that thing, I really thought I was shooting a popgun; the felt recoil was barely noticeable. But anyways, if you recommend rear sights instead, what brand do you recommend? And if you can also provide any contact information along with it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

The Mini14 will pound a scope to pieces and the Ranch rifle was reengineered to avoid that. Go ahead and scope it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

A friend of mine has had a SS mini since the early '80s, with a 4-power scope mounted on top. Since he was on his second or third .50 ammo can of bulk SP reloads (his own), it appears he had put a couple thousand through it by then.

Talked to him about three months ago and he still has it. Still groups @1 MOA with his reloads using hunting bullets (NOT 55-gr FMJBTs w/channelure!).

No mention of it battering the scope. Being a non-Ranch Rifle, the brass hits the scope, but it only causes brass marks on his SS scope.

Others, however, may know more...

I had a scope on my Mini-14 Ranch and sold it with the gun. Out to 100m, it doesn't help mcuh, past 100m, the Mini isn't going to cut it. Also, I found that I could see the inside of the scope tube (it was not properly blackened) once outside and my view was pretty flary. $70 Simmons 4x32 is not much scope even for that little money...

FWIW, I'd stay with iron sights on the Mini and carry a spare rear sight.

Try a red dot scope. You can pick up a Tasco for around $100. You'll need 30mm rings from Ruger. It fits the compact nature of the rifle well. It is quick on target, and fine out to 100 yards on targets. Past that you will only get "combat" accuracy from a mini-14 anyway. My ranch rifle does bang the heck out of itself, though. I have to use loctite on the scope mounts and rings to keep them from loosening after rapid fire sessions. I just got a Bushmaster...WOW!...no comparison in terms of accuracy...I sighted in at 25 yards and had holes touching each other in five shot groups.

------------------
The Second Ammendment is not about the right to hunt.

Ruger really dropped the ball on the design of the ranch flip up rear sight. Williams makes an excellent rear sight which is a direct replacement for the ranch rifle. Given the nature of the mini 14, I was considering trying one of the new holosights. You will need a rail adapter mount which attaches to the Ruger factory scope mounting points on the receiver. This adapter provides a Weaver style rail which will then allow you to mount virtually any type of sight made to the mini 14. Then the holosight can be mounted to this. I've seen the rail mounts at revolversmith.com.

I purchased a Mini 14 about a million years ago. It was a POS . As far as what I could afford to purchase it was a keeper!I put a Bushnell Sportview 3x9 in aB-Square mount and rings and never looked back until I could do a little better!
BTW, I just got the thing out, no, I don't sell or trade, and it still looks good to me.
Wiped the little dust off, checked it over, and I would still play at 300 yds if you like.
Hank

Stinx,
I believe the Williams sight for the Ruger Ranch is available through cheaperthandirt.com and brownells.com. I haven't been able to find an internet site for Williams per se.

If you have problems with using the peep sights I reccommend trying an electronic sight or a low power scope. Just spend as much as you can stand. A good scope will cost about what you have in the rifle. You might want to try a "Turkey" shotgun scope. these are powerful enough for the carbine and are very shck resistant. I have one on my Mini-30 with a foldong stock that I use canoeing.

Cheers,

ts

Scope the Ranch...

Mine is a gem...anything thing out to 300 is mine. :)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

First of all, I want to thank you all very much for your inputs. These investments costs money, and if I screw up, it might cost me my life. Needless to say, I am very grateful for any help I get.

I have this fear that keeps running through my mind. I'm in the middle of a heavy fire fight and my weapons ends up failing on me in the middle of it. Sounds silly doesn't it? Or am I in the right place? :)

That's why I insist on stuff that will work in adverse conditions. For that, I've decided to go with Leupold. Unfortunately, the best price I can find for a scope that fits my need is a Vari-X II 3-9x40mm for $220. First of all, is that a good price? I thought it was a fantastic deal, but my wife gave me that typical you-have-truely-lost-your-mind look.

But, I figure it's just as well since iron sights can typically take a beating far beyond even the best of scopes. And the Williams route are much cheaper. And so, I've decided to start with the Williams rear first and see how well it works out. If it doesn't, then I'll go for the Leupold.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited September 18, 1999).]

$220 is about the cheapest I could pay for a new Vari II 3x9 scope.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

SB I don't think that that Mini 14 itself will fail you in a fire fight any scope in the world might! It's a good little rifle.
Scopes in a fur ball is a whole nother thread!
Best Regards,
Hank

Back