More Herter's Mini Buckshot Testing

mukjp22m

I wasn't able to find much information about these things online, so I thought I'd post about my own findings. I saw these at Cabela's. It's six 00 buck at 1250 fps, and labeled 2 1/4 length. They are just slightly shorter than normal rounds and much longer than those tiny Aguila mini shells.

In my standard Remington 870, they work flawlessly. Being just slightly shorter than a normal 2 3/4 round, there is not enough space savings to affect a 4-round magazine, so it still holds only 4+1. The recoil is much lighter, though, and my wife was able to handle them pretty well. It still looks like a devastating round when it hits. The velocity is close to normal buck, but just fewer pellets. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think in recoil, though.

My Benelli Nova pump works perfectly too. Like the 870, cycles fast or slow, no problems. Again, no additional capacity gained.

The big question was whether it'd work on my Benelli M2 tactical. I have a two-round extension on there, for a total capacity of 7+1. But, with these shorter shells, it holds 8+1. Being that the M2 is known for eating anything, I thought I'd try. Short story is that it worked 9 out of 10 times. With so little recoil, I was impressed it worked as well as it did, but still, not good enough to bet your life on.

So, for someone looking for lighter recoil, or if you have a pump gun with a mag extension, you might be able to get one extra life-saving shot into the magazine. For a pump gun, I give it a thumbs up.

Back